Departure Day... or not...

Washington Travel Blog

** This blog is very late.  I hand wrote it each night after my days travels.  I am just now going to attempt to blog/picture/rate this trip **

Departure Day!  Twenty five years and I have been waiting to go to Europe.  One destination I have always wanted to visit has been Italy.  This year is my lucky year.  My mother's college friend owns a villa in Palaia, a small Tuscan country town.  My mother has a voracious appetite for travel and seeing all things possible.  My father prefers a relaxing vacation pool side.  This year my dad offered to pay for me to travel with my mom and make it into a mother-daughter trip since I also want to see everything possible.

Our flight was set to leave at 6:00 pm from Reagan airport.  I took a half day at work and met up for lunch with my boyfriend for some carne asada, to talk, and just relax at a park in the warm sun before my ten day departure.

2:30 pm and it's time to go to Reagan.  I went home where my dad would drive me and my mom to the airport.  We had gotten the ticket situation squared away ahead of time and only needed boarding passes.  Once we finally got to the check -in station we got an error message saying to find an attendant who told us the flight was canceled!  I couldn't believe it.  I was so disappointed.

DC had thunderstorms earlier that morning which had apparently moved to NY.  Our scheduled layover flight was in JFK, to Paris, to Pisa.  Word at the airport was that all Northeastern airports had been shut down due to inclement weather!  We waited and waited in lines for some time to see an Delta agent.  The best rescheduled flight she could do wasn't until Saturday afternoon.  It was our best option so we took it.  So I went home to dream another night of Tuscany.
photo by: b93sp