Day Seven: Finding a Driver and Negotiation a Price

Ubud Travel Blog

Zaid and I spent the majority of yesterday afternoon researching tours of Bali and trying to figure out which driver to select.  We read a few horror stories of drivers who drove their clients only to businesses and restaurants where they were clearly getting a kick back so we were proceeding with caution.  We had met a few drivers in Ubud who all offered their services but there was always something amiss about them whether it was poor English skills, a pushy-scammy attitude or just a plain old poor personality match.

The day of our desired departure we turned to Tripadvisor and found that their Ubud driver section had been over taken by drivers who were using it for self promotion instead of actual tourist recommendations.  After perusing a few forums and reading further I found a great forum thread managed by a Bali expert on Tripadvisor after a few google searches.  We went down the list and started calling at 8AM and found that many of them were busy that day as it was high season and we were a bit last minute.  Then we got a hold of Norman and he wanted 450,000 IDR to drive us around commencing at 10AM, we finally agreed on 370,00 IDR since we were off to a late start and I convince him it was a good, "morning price."  The Balinese are deeply superstitious people and like the Indians, Vietnamese, Chinese and et al who believe in giving their first customer of the day a good price in order to seal their first deal and start the day off prosperously.  Despite growing up in the US and spending only a few years living in Asia I also believe in this practice and always try to make the sell on my first customer of the day at the wine shop.
knowledgebee says:
Merci bien Bernard :)
Posted on: Jan 17, 2010
bernard69 says:
you made very good point in your argument,thx for sharing!
Posted on: Jan 16, 2010