Day Seven: Danau Bratan

Candikuning Travel Blog

Fruits at Bedugul's market
Ten minutes to 10AM we called the lobby to informed that they we were expecting a driver and they told us one was already waiting for us.  We were pleasantly pleased with his promptness and sensed that we off to a good start.  Before getting into the car we made sure to go over the details of the tour and make sure that things such as parking fees and fuel were inclusive in the price.  We also made sure there would be no mileage surcharge.  Although we were being extra cautious and having such an akward conversation upon meeting Norman we felt it was best to get the ugly stuff out of the way before stepping in and driving off.  Then, I gave him a couple ideas on what we wanted to see before we took off and he helped us narrow it down to a more manageable itinerary.   So we set off north in the direction of Danua Bratan to see Pura Ulun, the famous temple set on lake Bratan in the mountains.
Pura Ulun

Although the distance was rather short it took us nearly an hour and a half to reach our destination due to the small roads and the flux of holiday traffic.  Before stopping at the temple we made a quick detour to see Bedugul's market which had an impressive amount of tropical fruits from Bali and beyond.  I found some Thai imported logans and bought more than I could handle since half the batch ended up rotting in our hotel's mini fridge which was insufficiently cool.  The vendors were very friendly and they let us try many of the fruits if we asked.  It was interesting to see this market place which was filled with "Muslim" warungs and many Muslims were the religious minority in Bali.
Bedugul's monkeys
   Norman mentioned that Balinese Muslims were different but he failed to get into details so I'm still in dark about Balinese Muslims.

We found Pura Ulun to be truly beautiful and surrounded by a majestic setting.  We took a few photos and walk around a bit but there wasn't much to see or enter as most of the temple was closed off to visitors.  It was possible to cross over and visit the water temple but the thick mound of mud quickly deterred us from doing so.  There was a gigantic bayan tree that is suppose to be over 300 years old, it was huge but I'm not sure it was 300 years big but I'm no arborist.

We decided to by pass on the Bedugul botanical garden since Zaid had no interest in it and Norman mentioned that it wasn't much of a sight.  In hindsight I wished I would have gone to check it out and make my own judgments since I haven't seen a botanical garden that I didn't fancy.
The view of lake Tamblingan from our lunch spot
  It was nearly lunchtime so we had to make a decision on lunch.  I told Norman we wanted something scenic so he drove us up mountain side past an outcrops of.....  Guess what?  More long tailed macaques.  We stop and shot a few photos of these mountain monkeys since it seemed like the tourist obligation to do so after your driver stops on the side of the road.  The we were off to lunch.  The warung we stopped at was a simple roadside outfit with a magnificent view of two lakes, Buyan and Tamblingan.  The misty fog was rolling in and we enjoyed the cool mountain air as we had some more unmemorable Indonesian food.
Fruits at Beduguls market
Fruits at Bedugul's market
Beduguls monkeys
Bedugul's monkeys
The view of lake Tamblingan from o…
The view of lake Tamblingan from …
The Buddhist stupa @ Pura Ulun