Day # 3 !Feliz Navidad!

Gulf of Papagayo Travel Blog

Friday, December 25, 2009. !Feliz Navidad!

After breakfast Dad and I decided to go on the zip line tour. Eduardo, our driver, picked us up at the hotel and drove us about 30 minutes away. He asked us if we minded bumpy roads because we drove for four miles on a very bumpy, unpaved road to the canopy. He was very knowledgeable about his country and told us about the different, animals, plants, exports, industries, towns, culture etc. He told us that the crime rate is very low and they have very few police officers. The biggest problems they have are near San Jose and the Caribbean side with the drug trafficking through other countries like Nicaragua.

The country decided about 20 years ago to disband its army and focus the funds towards education instead. Eduardo criticized Nicaragua especially for have a strong army while its citizens starve. He told us that Guanacaste, the province we were in, is the largest for tourism. He also said that the Pacific side and the Caribbean side are very different as far a culture and people.

When we got to the canopy we were the only ones there. Roberto and Jose were our guides. They strapped us in and gave us a quick lesson inside the building on a test line first.

Then we were off. The two guys were very nice. They took tons of photos with my camera. One would go first down the line, then turn around and take photos and videos of Dad and I, then the other would go. The zip lines were fun. There were 10 total. The first few were over a waterfall (dried up because the rainy season had just ended). The middle ones were over the top of the rainforest. The last few were way out over a river. You could look down as you glided across and see crocodiles below. Roberto got some great photos of them from above. Jose asked us if we wanted to try any trick positions. Dad tried going "Super Man" style. This is where you are clipped in from behind and you fly across on your belly. I tried going upside-down. It was a pretty funny position. I had to lay back and use no hands. My head was facing straight down. Not the most comfortable, but certainly fun.

When were finished zip lining.

Eduardo drove us to a little bar so Dad could buy beer for the room. The bar was very rugged. Basically it was a bar, outside on a little slab. It has no walls and a tarp for a roof. There were 5 or 6 locals sitting around the one plastic table. The bar had one tall cooler and a small T.V. behind it. Dad ordered a six pack from the little bar tender. Eduardo had to interpret for him. She told dad how many Colones it was.

When we got back to the resort, we recounted our tales to Mom over drinks at the pool and then decided to try our kayaking skills. Dad and I paddled over to the marina next to the resort. There were some monster yachts. We cruised around the bay for a while and then we noticed a swarm of birds in a certain area. We paddled over there and you could see a frenzy of fish leaping out of the water below. It was straight out of the Discovery Channel; fish being attacked below by something, and above by birds. At one point the fish were coming right at us and so were the birds. Dad and I had our paddles ready to defend ourselves. When they went by we decided to get out of there. We swam a little back at the beach and I was lucky enough to see a giant sea urchin right before I was about to step on him. Dad tried to pick him up and got a quill stuck in his thumb. We decided to be extra careful when walking around in the water after that.

Friday, December 25, 2009. !Feliz Navidad!

When were finished zip lining.

bats