Aqua Adventure

Gulf of Papagayo Travel Blog

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Today we woke up early because we had booked an Aqua Adventure tour. It turns out that we were on the same boat as the night before with Rosa again. There was a different captain this time and another girl as well. I didn't catch either of their names. We started out by driving over to the sister resort again and picking up some people. I was a little relieved that there weren’t any kids on this trip. Not that I don't love them, it is just nice to have a break when you are on vacation! We drove out to a beautiful white-sand beach.

I caught one!
It was completely deserted. They took the dingy and loaded up food, a grill, tables, and chairs onto it. They rode to the beach and dropped of one of the girls to start cooking our lunch. We road back out to the middle of the water. They taught us how to bottom fish. It was quite simple. You just hook some bait onto a hand reel and drop the line until you feel it hit the bottom. We were all pulling up fish immediately. And all the fish were very colorful and pretty. Most were too small to keep, but a few of the people caught some big ones that we put in a basket. Dad caught a pretty big Red Snapper. Two people even caught puffer fish just like the one in Nemo's tanks. Very funny looking creatures!

When we were finished fishing, we rode over to a small inlet near the beach. You could see natural caves in the walls. We put on our snorkeling gear and dove in. I had heard the snorkeling here was not that great but to be honest, I didn't think it was too bad.

I would place it above Mexico and right below the Bahamas on places I have snorkeled. Of course nothing compares to the Great Barrier Reef! We saw a few different kinds of puffer fish, a few different schools of mostly silver fish, an eel, and small octopus, lots of sea urchins and a few star fish. My favorite fish was a big puffer fish. I followed him around the current for a while. He was probably about a foot long, all black with white dots all over him. The captain grabbed him and made him puff up. I got to hold him and he felt like a rubber ball that was partially deflated. Finally Rosa instructed us to swim to the beach.

As we climbed out of the ocean we saw a whole lunch spread ready for us. The girl had been busy.

She cooked us chicken, beef, and sausage with veggies, rice, and potatoes. There was fresh fruit and tortillas.  And of course beer! It was very good. Rosa brought our fish from the boat, wrapped them in foil and threw them on the grill. When they were done cooking, we all gathered around the grill and stuck our plastic forks in for a taste. It was very delicious. I thought it was so neat cooking the fish we had just caught and eating it right there on the spot.

We had a little while to relax on the beach before it was time to pack up and leave. There were lots of little hermit crabs all over the beach to play with. Just as we were packing up, a sun shower came through. The locals thought this was very weird since it isn't supposed to rain here again until May. But apparently they had a very mild rainy season this year, so maybe this is making up for it. The rain lasted all of five minutes and we were on our way home. Rosa was so cute. She was telling us how sad she was to see us go. She "hates it when the nice people leave". She was very sweet.

Back at the resort, we did some night swimming in the pool before dinner. I got some good pictures of some raccoons raiding the beach trash cans.

I caught one!
If you look closely you can see gi…
If you look closely you can see g…
our private beach