Day #1 Arrival

Gulf of Papagayo Travel Blog

The View from our room

When we arrived in Liberia it was an open air terminal. They pulled the stairs right up to the plane and we walked right out onto the jet way. We had to wait a little while to get through customs and the first thing I noticed while waiting were the enormous insects all around us. It was probably because of the lights in the terminal. Many folks were acting quite antsy about them landing on them.

When we walked out of the airport, we were swarmed by taxi, and shuttle drivers yelling and flapping signs at us. We chose one and were told we would have to pay $55 US for a 45 minute drive to our resort.

view
The driver spoke very little English. I tried my best to remember the Spanish I knew so we were able to work it out. He thought my Dad was very funny. Dad just kept speaking to him in English even though he didn't understand. The roads were very curvy and there were very few street lights once we left the city. At one point we had to stop quickly because there were Brahma cattle crossing the road. They are huge white cows with humps on their backs.

We arrived at the resort and because it was night couldn’t really see much. The reception area was at the top of a big hill. They had a blue-lit Christmas tree in the lobby. A shuttle bus drove us down the mountain to our room. We did have to switch rooms at first because they had only given us one bed. It worked out though because our second room was further down the hill (closer to the pool area).

The whole resort was built into the side of a mountain; very pretty landscaping.

Tower at the Pool
It was a tough climb if you wanted to get around but they had shuttle buses that would come by every ten minutes or so. The pool was huge and had a nice swim up bar. Pedro's bar was built right into the middle of the pool. There was another big Christmas tree in the bar area with pool tables, foosball, darts and a cigar stand.

The dinner area was just adjacent to the pool. IT was all open air buffet style. The beach was just on the other side of the pool. It was all black sand and very secluded. They had kayaks, sail boats and jet ski’s that you could use. There was a volley ball net and plenty of beach chairs around. They even had a security officer that patrolled the beach though I don't know why.

Mom and Dad on the stairs