Saint Louis Travel Blog

I had desperately wanted to see Wicked.  It finally came back to the Fox Theatre this year, and I was bound and determined to go, even if I had to go by myself.  Luckily, my best friend decided she wanted to go as well, but my sister backed out on me.

I planned the day to include lunch at the Boathouse in Forrest Park, cupcakes at Jilly's and shopping at the Galleria.  We were going to start with shopping, but I managed to miss the exit for the Galleria.  I've only been there a couple times, and there's been major construction on 64.  Being stubborn, I took the next exit, thinking I could wander back to it.  Well -- that didn't happen.  I called OnStar for directions, but somehow, they sent me to a very, very, very shady area of St.

Louis, so we just kept going.  Of course, by now, we've wasted a lot of time, so we went ahead and went to the Boathouse at Forrest Park for dinner.  I called OnStar once again, and they had trouble finding it themselves.  They could get the street, but not the exact address.  Good grief.  I just had those directions sent to my car, and once we got into Forrest Park, the directions to the Boathouse were marked.

Dinner at the Boathouse was really nice.  They have either outdoor or indoor seating overlooking the pond.  I would have liked to sit outside, but SarahBeth said inside.  Ugh.  Oh, well.  At least it was air conditioned, and we were still able to enjoy the view.  I ordered something completely out of the ordinary, a salmon BLT that was really good.

Now, it is about 5:48, the Galleria closes at six, so there was no way we were going to get there in time.  But, this was also too early to head over to the Fox.  One of my friends had recently eaten ice cream at Serendipity, so once again, I called OnStar.  They got me right there this time, with no difficulties.  But, by the time I got there, I was out of the mood (and trying to get into a dress the next night that somehow didn't fit from just six weeks ago).  Serendipity is a cool place, and I will return.

Since I had bought the tickets just a few days before, we had to pick them up at the theatre.  We got parked (passing the $15 lot and the $10 lot to park for $8 extremely close to another car), and headed into the theatre.

Our seats were in the middle balcony; definitely not the orchestra seat-splurge I was going to go for.  But, I figured for the first time, I would get a bird's eye view, and then return to see the play up close.

Wicked.  Oh, my goodness.  I was captivated.  I loved it.  The Wizard of Oz is one of my favorite movies, and this prequel is amazing.  I loved the story, and never, ever imagined coming away from it liking the Wicked Witch, but I did.  (She actually reminded me a lot of myself; even though I wasn't born green, obviously.  But, it is my favorite color.)

Pretty intense while trying to leave, though.  While sitting in traffic, I noticed a crowd in a parking lot.  I was afraid someone had been run over, and that was the case!  I car accident with someone under the car!   We weren't able to find out what happened exactly, but I do hope they were all okay.  The people seeking the emergency services weren't too panicked like someone was in critical condition, but I'm sure it was scary.

nyprne says:
This is a great show. It was also our birthday present to each other.
Posted on: Dec 26, 2010
sweetsummerdaiz says:
Isn't WICKED a fabulous production? Loved the witt and the costumes!
Posted on: Dec 26, 2010