Two Separate Trips to the STL This Weekend

Saint Louis Travel Blog

me, Brady, and Emily

Busy weekend.  I ended up going to St. Louis twice.  It was PBR weekend, and we'd bought tickets weeks ago, so I knew I'd be going on Sunday, but at the last minute, one of my friends decided we needed to go to the Melting Pot to eat because she'd never been there (neither had I).

Saturday's trip solely involved going to eat at the Melting Pot.  We had decided to be there when the restaurant opened at 4.  I met Emily (and her son Brady) at WalMart (that's the meeting place in Salem) at 2 o'clock.  Emily drove, since all of Brady's entertainment is in her car.

We got to St. Louis about a half-hour before our reservation.  Since Brady had never been to this area, Emily drove around the Loop and pointed out a few things there.

me, dipping into the cheese
  Apparently, she used to nanny and had to bring the kids over there for art school or something, so she is familiar with the area.  We still had time to kill, so we found a parking space in the lot around the corner, since Emily is not confident in her parallel parking abilities, going past the open space right in front of the restaurant.

Being four o'clock, I didn't figure we'd need reservations, but Emily thought ahead and made them anyway.  I'm glad she did -- there was a family that came in behind us and was told they were full until 9:15... eeks!  We were led to our table and the waiter explained a few things, since it was our first time at the Melting Pot.

We went for the whole she-bang -- appetizer, entree AND dessert.

dessert!
  We agreed on the cheddar cheese fondue and the broth for our meats (I got the teriyaki sirloin) and compromised on the dessert by getting the yin-yang since I looove dark chocolate and they prefer white chocolate.  I'm glad some friends of mine had told me what the evening would entail, because otherwise, I wouldn't have expected to cook my own food for the entree.  The cheese fondue was scrumptious.  Surprisingly, my favorite dipper was the granny smith apples.  I wasn't overly impressed with the entree course, since I like my steak grilled, and not essentially boiled, but the dessert course was AMAZING.  Oh, my goodness.  CHOCOLATE HEAVEN.  Brady and I were all about the sweets!  Brownies, rice krispy treats, strawberries and more to dip in the absolutely decadent chocolate.
my sister and I

It took us a couple hours for the entire Melting Pot experience.  It was SOO worth it.  We really had a great time.  This was our only reason for this STL trip, so we headed back home from there.  I got home-home about 9 o'clock, which, yes is a relatively early evening on a Saturday, but after eating so much, I had to hit the treadmill, plus, I knew I'd have another day in St. Louis tomorrow...

"Sunday Funday" at the PBR St. Louis Enterprise Invitational.  This is the third year that my sister and I went to the St. Louis event.  This year, her boyfriend (a former bullfighter himself) went with us.

We also met in Salem at WalMart (like I said -- it's the meeting place for practically everyone).

waiting for the nod
  We left in time to eat lunch -- can't pass up a chance to eat!  We debated where to go.  Nathan is definitely a steak and potatoes kind of guy, and Emily was craving a baked potato with sour cream and dill pickles, so my suggestion of IHOP fell on deaf ears.  We contemplated the Trenton House, which they've never eaten at but we were a little too early to eat there; we ended up at Texas Roadhouse, not my favorite place, where Emily could get fried dill pickles (which are really good and addicting.  There is no way to eat just one).  Even being noon, we got seated right away, but service was slow.

We were going to be cutting it close to get there on time.   It didn't help that I went one exit too far, and overshot the Savvis Center (well, the ScotTrade Center, I still call it the Savvis).

JB Mauney, a little disgruntled
  We backtracked and had to sit in line at the parking lot -- the gate malfunctioned and we couldn't enter the lot.

We finally got inside, briefly looked around and got to our seats just before the event began.  We didn't have the greatest seats.  I bought the tickets just a month ago or so, which I thought was a little late.  They were club level seats, above the chutes, which the only good thing was we could see everything with a bird's eye view.  We were only a couple rides in, when a man came and talked to Nathan, who was sitting on the aisle.  Then, he and Emily, got up and she said 'come on' -- the man was moving us.  We went down the stairs... and kept going.  He led us to the FIFTH ROW!!!  Freakin' awesome seats!!!  And, just in time for Cord McCoy's ride -- big fan of his on the Amazing Race.

My two favorite cowboys, Wiley Peterson and Elliott Jacoby didn't ride in this event, but it was still good.  There were a couple 90 points + rides and a couple wild buck-offs, which made for an exciting time.  JB Mauney didn't fare so well on his ride, with the clock getting him at 7.8 seconds or so, even though the buzzer went off; the judges didn't rule in his favor.  Guilherme Marchi, a Brazilian favorite, won the event.

It's mine and Emily's tradition to get ice cream after the PBR.  I told her to choose between Ted Drewes and Serendipity.  I didn't want Coldstone; I was secretly hoping for Serendipity.  I wanted their Gold Coast Chocolate.  Nathan threw a little hissyfit for having to go West to go home to Illinois, but I argued that he'd gotten to drink his beer all afternoon, and now we wanted our ice cream.

Serendipity ice cream!
  AND I was in the driver's seat, so he had to go along for the ride (this was all in good fun.  We like to give each other a hard time).

Emily chose Serendipity.  I got the Gold Coast Chocolate with tiny scoops of bordeaux cherry and cinnamon.  We stood outside to eat our ice cream -- it was an absolutely gorgeous day.  One of those that gives hope that Spring really is on the way.  Oh, and I don't allow food in my car.

Overall -- it was a pretty good weekend!

raw meat to cook
raw meat to cook
the sweet-stuff addicts!
the sweet-stuff addicts!
dippers for dessert
dippers for dessert
What can I say, I like my boots.
What can I say, I like my boots.
JB Mauney