It's a S.A.D. Celebration

Saint Louis Travel Blog

Valentine's Day.  A day for love.  That is all fine and dandy, unless you are single.  But, this year, some friends and I embraced this fact and celebrated February 14 as S.A.D. -- Singles Awareness Day.  Four of us spent the evening in St. Louis.  We attended a play, 'Can't Buy Me Love' at the Roberts Orpheum Theatre.  It was an excellent play, about how money cannot buy a person love or happiness; it had a really good message and a powerful ending.

We then went to P.F. Chang's, the Chinese bistro, for dinner.  This was my first time eating here, so I went along with my friends' choices and recommendations (the food come more or less family-style; the entrees are meant to be shared).  We started with an appetizer of the Chicken Lettuce Wraps; our entrees included Dandan Noodles, Mongolian Beef, and Crispy Honey Chicken.
  I thought the food was all very good, a little overpriced, but that's to be expected in this atmosphere.  It turns out, though, Heather treated us to the meal in honor of our SAD Celebration (and she'd just gotten a promotion!)

Even though it was late, pushing midnight, we went to the Cheesecake Factory for dessert.  I had been looking forward to chocolate cake all day long!  After debating on just what to get, I went with my first instinct... Triple Chocolate Cake topped with fabulous whipped cream.  Oh, my, my!!!  It was absolutely decadent.  I was in sugar shock for the next day, but it was worth it!

My only disappointment was the fact that we ate at chain restaurants, which I like to avoid.  If it had been up to me, we would have eaten at local places.  But, all in all, my friends and I had an absolutely lovely evening, celebrating our friendship and embracing our singleness.
sweetsummerdaiz says:
I also learned about S.A.D. while I was alone in Scottsdale on V-Day. The bartender kept the wine coming, almost as a consolation prize.
Posted on: Dec 26, 2010