Go With the Flow

Saint Louis Travel Blog

My travel buddies and I took advantage of all having a day off work and school and headed for St. Louis -- despite the snowy, winter-weather (which I hate).  I planned the day -- starting with lunch in historic Laclede's Landing at Hannegan's, a New Deal-era restaurant.  I wanted to go there specifically for their toasted ravioli, a St. Louis specialty.  We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch here; we arrived right at noon, and were seated immediately (but come 12:30, the place was BUSY).  The toasted ravioli was REALLY good, and I tried one of the lunch specials, bison sliders served with their homemade potato chips.  It was DELICIOUS!

After lunch, we had noticed a wax museum right across the street, so we went over there to check it out -- we shouldn't have bothered.

YUCK! Snow!
  It was a waste of time and money.  The dusty, unkempt figures were behind glass and some (most) were unrecognizeable.  But, it was a go with the flow sort of day, and we made the best of our visit, making fun of many of the figures.

From Laclede's Landing, we walked to the Arch, pausing to take some snow pictures -- Judy and Jordan delightful, me practically miserable.  (I HATE winter with a passion.  I've joked about becoming the world's youngest snowbird).  We went to the Arch's North Entrance, standing in line for what would have been a half-hour wait.  But, the security guard was nice enough to tell us to go over to the South Entrance where there was no line.  We traipsed across the snow and walked right up to the security checkpoint.

We entered and went to buy tickets to go up in the Arch, but the next available tram was an hour and a half later.  (It was a busy day -- being during the school break between Christmas and New Year's).  We decided not to wait (again, go with the flow) and continued on our day.

Our next destination was the City Museum.  Our adventure there began in the parking lot -- I got the only parking space indoors that was available, and it was a tight squeeze.  I drive a midsize SUV, and this space was next to a pole where they apparently store stuff, and in order to get into the space, they also had to move storage across from it.  But, with the attendant's guidance, I was able to successfully park!  We entered the building, and after getting over the shock of how many people were there, we opted to stay and check out the place.

Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em!
  I didn't know what to expect.  Rather than a traditional museum, the City Museum has interactive displays that are primarily geared towards kids, but adults can participate, too.  It has a rather eclectic collection.  Jordan and I played a life-size game of Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em and we rolled in a giant hamster-wheel (in which I fell and conked my head -- I'm not kidding when I say I think I got a mild concussion).

Even though I had planned out the day,  I left it up to Judy and Jordan as to where we would eat dessert: either Ted Drewes' for frozen custard or Jilly's Cupcake Bar for cupcakes.  We decided that it would be silly to eat ice cream in December -- so that's where we went!  Ted Drewes' is THE PLACE to get frozen custard in St.

Enjoying our frozen custard treats in the car
Louis.  Their creation, the Concrete, is legendary, famously served through the window upside down because it's so thick.  (However, I was disappointed mine was not -- served upside down that is).  I debated on what to get, but a little girl in line saved the day -- she recommended the Johnny Rabbit Special, a cherry-chocolate concrete -- only the best combination there is!  Judy got the daily special, a giant hot fudge sundae, and Jordan created his own concrete with cookie dough.  The frozen creations were delightful, even in the December cold.  We'll get cupcakes another day!

We had an interesting day to say the least.  It was nice to spend time with friends.  Now that I've moved to Springfield, I don't get to see them that often, so I appreciated the day.  We are such a bunch of misfits, but it works for us!

Rock Em, Sock Em!
Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em!
Enjoying our frozen custard treats…
Enjoying our frozen custard treat…
Toasted Ravioli
Toasted Ravioli
my bison slider
my bison slider
This is just after I fell.
This is just after I fell.
The bruise on my eye, evidence of …
The bruise on my eye, evidence of…
Outside the City Museum
Outside the City Museum
Me, being proud of my parking job!
Me, being proud of my parking job!
My Johnny Rabbit Special