Cupcake Crawl Round 2

Saint Louis Travel Blog

at Patty Cakes

Without a doubt, I was celebrating my 29th birthday by doing the second annual Cupcake Crawl through St. Louis.  I didn't have much planning to do for this one.  We were going back to Jilly's and The Cup, and to a new place in Highland.  We were dropping Sarah's and Sweet Art.  This year, we had new additions to the cupcake crew, too: my sister Emily and a good friend Amy joined my best friend SarahBeth and good friend Kim and I for the sugar adventure.

We ventured to Highland by about 10:30 on my birthday, which managed to fall on a Saturday this year.  I wasn't sure where Patty Cakes was and Highland can be a confusing town, so I called OnStar.  This was an adventure in and of itself.  I know how to get to Highland, but OnStar took us a completely different way, one that would definitely be considered the backroads of Clinton County (you can't get much more backwoods than a one-lane wooden bridge that you can't see over).

We found Patty Cakes and started the sugar rush.  The cupcake choices were amazing; I couldn't hardly make up my mind! But, I opted for the Black Forest, a chocolate cupcake filled with cherry pie filling with chocolate icing.  And, the monthly special was buy 5 cupcakes, get one free.  Since there were five of us, they let me, the birthday girl, choose an extra cupcake.  I got the peanut butter cupcake to go.  We enjoyed our cupcakes and then proceeded on our way.

I hadn't really planned a lunch stop, figuring we would be eating enough cupcakes.  But, my sister asked for pizza, Imo's to be exact.  They are all over St. Louis, but we went to the only one we've ever been to, on Big Bend Boulevard.  Our group ordered a pizza and added toasted ravioli and garlic bread.

me and my sister at Imo's
  Seriously, if you're gonna do it, do it right.  Imo's is absolutely delicious!  And, across the street is a really good ice cream shop, Serendipity and since we were so close, we just HAD to go in!  I couldn't resist the salted caramel in a chocolate dipped waffle cone.

From Serendipity, we were to the next cupcake stop, Jilly's, since they would be closing next.  Jilly's was a stop on last year cupcake crawl, but since then, they have gotten national recognition as the winners of a battle on Food Network's Cupcake Wars and have expanded their restaurant.  It's not as cute and cozy as it used to be, which is a shame.  I like cupcakeries to be fun little nooks, and Jilly's is not just a restaurant that served cupcakes.

the Chocolate Snowball
  We walked up to the counter and ordered our cupcakes.  Everyone got their's to go, but this being my cupcake crawl to celebrate my birthday, I at least wanted one bite of mine.  I chose one of their December specialties, the chocolate snowball, a chocolate cupcake stuffed with whipped cream, with marshmallow icing, topped with coconut.  (The chocolate-coconut combo is what grabbed my attention, I'm not that crazy about marshmallow).  One bite was enough.  It was good, but to be honest, not a to-die-for cupcake, which was a disappointment, since it was Jilly's afterall.  (I'll just take it home and freeze it, to indulge in sometime later).

We decided to take a break from the sugar rush, so from Jilly's we went to the St.

Louis Mills Mall.  Now, I don't like to shop to begin with, for the most part, and I definitely don't like to shop with the Christmas crowds, but we wanted to walk around and more importantly, Emily and I wanted to get airbrushed cupcake crawl t-shirts made and their was a store here that we could do so.  That was our first shop, and since it would take about an hour for our shirts to be made, we shopped around, mostly window-browsing, even though I got sidetracked in the scrapbook store.  When we went back to get our shirts, they were done, but on Emily's, instead of 'SarahBeth' they had 'Samantha'.  He was able to fix it, and you can't even tell it was ever wrong.

From the Mills, we went to our final cupcake destination, The Cup in the Central West End.

the tuxedo
  I had high hopes for this place, as it turned out to be my favorite cupcake from last year's crawl.  I also had a certificate for a free cupcake, since it was my birthday.  I didn't hesitate when I ordered the tuxedo, a dark chocolate cupcake with french vanilla buttercream and a mini Oreo.  They were having trouble with their cash register, so they were actually running the credit card machine off their iPhones.  Talk about technology!

The sugar coma began to sink in while we were sitting there. I didn't really want to get up, but I had the drive home, yet.  We made it; well most of us did.  Emily and Amy slept, and the rest of us were pretty quiet.  I had a few things to discuss with SarahBeth, but they were to be between best friends, so I didn't say anything.  I think we were all pretty wore out from the day, anyway.  I am thankful for my friends that indulge in my quirkiness and go along with my ideas.  Cupcake Crawl 2011 is successfully in the books!

at Patty Cakes
me and my sister at Imos
me and my sister at Imo's