Birthday Present to Myself

Saint Louis Travel Blog

outside the theatre

All I wanted for my birthday was to go see Wicked at the Fox Theatre.  I love the story-line, the music, the costumes, and the fact that it makes me like the Wicked Witch.  When tickets became available over the summer, I just could not afford them.  Thankfully, I was hired in September for my dream job (as the legislative aide for our State Representative) and practically one of the first things I did was search for tickets around my birthday.  There was no Monday the 17th performance, so I looked at Sunday the 16th and Tuesday the 18th, but they seemed to be sold out.  One of the things I had promised myself was to buy a 'good' ticket, not up in the balcony like the last time I'd seen it.

I gave up.  Didn't think it was meant to be.

traffic stand-still
  But, then I saw a commercial advertising it.  Then my sister gave me a handmade Wizard of Oz quilt for my birthday, and all I could think about again was going to see the glitz and glamour of Galinda and Elphaba.  I had my heart set on it.

So, at work, on my birthday, I searched for tickets.  For some reason, the first day I picked was the afternoon performance of the following Saturday.  AND THERE WAS A TICKET AVAILABLE. In the section I picked.  I couldn't believe my eyes.  But, I didn't buy it right then.  I mulled it over for the rest of the day.  I would have to go by myself, which I wasn't overly enthused about, but I'm used to it.  By the time, I got home, I grabbed the debit card and went straight for the computer to buy the ticket; by this time I was worried that it had sold.

my shoes, left in the car
  And that I did -- it was still available!  So instead of getting a piercing in my ear, I bought myself a ticket to Wicked for my birthday!

.....

Rather than a relaxing day at home, which I probably need, since we leave for the cruise tomorrow, I am heading to St. Louis to see my beloved Wicked.  I'm going over early to stop at Archiver's for an album for my birthday party pictures, but I'm going to skip doing anything else, like a fancy lunch or anything like that.

In fact, I skipped lunch altogether.  When I left Fairview Heights, I headed on west to St. Louis.  It was all smooth sailing, until I hit the I-44 interchange.  This is always a dead standstill.  As it was today.  I got through that and proceeded to the Fox.

My ticket to Wicked!
  I know how to get there; I just don't like how you have to get there.  Grand Boulevard isn't exactly the safest street in St. Louis.  I went past the $15 lot and parked in the $10 lot.  Even though it's an easy walk, I left my brand-new pair of lace heels in the car and just wore the flats I had on to drive in.  It was before the time to go claim my ticket, but I went to the box office anyway.  As it was, I had to stand in line.  I claimed my ticket with ease.  And, then went outside to stand in another line until the doors were open.  At least the sun was shining, so it wasn't too bad.  In the shade, it was pretty chilly, though.  I had left my coat in the car as well, because I didn't want to deal with the bulk of it.

It wasn't long before the doors were open.  But, that only allowed us inside.  The curtains to the theatre were still closed.  As luck would have it, I picked the right way to go.  When I asked the usher where I needed to be, I was at the right entrance.  When we were finally allowed in, I found my seat -- turns out is was an aisle.  Further back than what I wanted, but still a decent seat.  And, the group next to me had an extra seat, that they piled their coats in which meant I had plenty of room.  It was a little ironic, though, since I desperately wanted my sister to come with me, but she couldn't because there wasn't a seat available.

I waited patiently for the production to begin, taking in the magic of the Fox Theatre.

the stage, prior
  This is the fifth time I've been here, but it's still exciting.  As soon as the curtain lifted, I was captivated.  This is actually the second time I've seen Wicked.  I caught on to things that I didn't before.  There were things that I'd forgotten, and others that just got past me.  It made me love it that much more. The actress that portrayed Elphaba was amazing.

I will say one thing about going by myself.  I didn't have to worry about anyone else, so I was able to hightail it back to my car.  I still had to wait in traffic, though.  At least this time, I didn't miss the ramp for eastbound 64.  It is NOT clearly marked, and you have to be paying attention.

I wanted Chick-Fil-A to eat, because by this point, I was starving.  But, I didn't think it was worth the drive across Fairview Heights.  So, I settled for the next best fast food: Sonic.  And, I headed for home.  Afterall, I still have to pack for the cruise...

the Fox, decorated for Christmas