Pilgrimage to the birthplace of Mozart

Salzburg Travel Blog

Being a block from a church isn’t necessarily a good thing on Sunday AM! The bells tolled at 6:00 and all hell cut loose at 7:00 I guess so people had no excuse for missing 8:00 mass! We had breakfast at the hotel, then I walked up to take pictures in the churchyard. I also sat in the church for a few minutes.

Getting into Salzburg was an easy matter and took only a few minutes. We parked in the first garage we came to, came out into the street and met a couple from Wisconsin. They’d been banging around Europe by train and showed us the way to the Altstadt ("old city"). We bought a city map and walked to Mozart’s Geburtshaus (birth house). We then just wandered around this magnificent city. There was music everywhere as many very talented street musicians played. We bought a watercolor from a (Chinese!) street artist.

Linda loves carriage rides so we took one through the city then ate on the terrace of the Glockenspiel Restaurant where we had the famous Salzberger Nockerl for desert. We rode the cog railway to the burg which overlooks the city and took some pictures from that perspective, then visited St. Peter’s Cemetery. We eventually ran out of steam and left town around 3:00.

Immer Mickey Ds