Picturesque Tirol

Karres Travel Blog

Crossing into Austria, we entered Tirol and Linda suggested we stop in Imst but, when we got there, I thought the small town was still too big.  I’d seen some tiny villages up on the hillside so up we went. We found no room at the only place in Karrösten but got one at Gasthaus Traube in nearby Karres. It's a nice place run by nice folks. Had a Bratwurst and beer for lunch and headed to bed for our customary nap. That’s when I discovered that the keys to my suitcase were on the keyring I’d given Stosh!! Great!!  I thought we’d have to drill the lock out but the woman at the hotel suggested we call the "Schlüsseldienst". Took him about 1/2 hour to come up from Imst but only a few minutes to pick open the lock. My stupidity cost me ÖS30 and a lot of sleep. I called Carol at my office to see if she could send my key to Vienna with one of the other folks who were coming to the meeting so I could lock the suitcase for the trip home and finally got to bed at around 3:30 local time.

We slept ‘til about 6:00, then showered and went down to dinner for which we had Zwiebelrostbraten. It was good, but a bit greasy. After dinner, we walked a bit even though it had begun to rain. Eventually, the skies began to clear and the walk was delightful. We could hear a brass band from the distance and those big cowbells from a nearby pasture. What an experience! Linda said it seemed like something from Heidi. What a place!!

photo by: jhwelsch