Mad Ludwig's favorite palace

Linderhof Travel Blog

During the night, the lake at Zell am See was spectacular as viewed from our balcony. We woke to an overcast once again but the lake was still beautiful. We set out west on the route Wilfling had outlined for us but realized we were going back into the mountains. Linda had really had enough "high" excitement and the bad weather made it pretty silly in any case. As a result, we headed north. We stopped in Rattenberg to finish our gift buying. I put the car in a lot and went to buy a parking ticket and when I got back to the car a woman said a guy had written my number down. To be safe, I moved the car and sat in it while Linda did the shopping. After that, we took the Autobahn to east of Innsbruck, then got off it and headed North into Germany. We stopped at a small Bavarian border town which wasn’t so great, then eventually found Linderhof which was one of Mad Ludwig’s castles. It’s a lot smaller then Neuschwanstein and unbelievably gaudy. It was pouring rain when we came out and the guide said June and July are their rainiest months. He said August and September are the nicest.
photo by: hellenica