Beautiful St. Wolfgang

Saint Wolfgang Travel Blog

Got off the Autobahn and drove to the resort town of Bad Ischl which was a bit to crowded for our taste, then ended up, more by chance than by planning, at St. Wolfgang on the Wolfgangsee. Wilfling had told me the Wolfgangsee was a good place to stop and that there were several towns to choose from. He also said there was a cog railway up to the Schafbergspitze but that I’d have to ask around to discover where the station was. Anyway, we drove through St. Wolfgang and noticed several nice hotels but each time we saw one we liked we were past the driveway by the time we decided to stop and we kept going. Finally, we stopped at a nice place called Strandhotel Margaretha and found that it was only about 100 yards from the Bergbahn to the Schafbergspitze! We were able to get a room facing the lake but it was in a newer section set back a bit so that the view was somewhat restricted. Still a great view!

The woman at the hotel was surprised to find that we were Americans since Americans rarely come to St. Wolfgang. Unfortunately, a tour bus pulled up and unloaded a group of Brits so English was the language in use. I really prefer it when German is the only language I hear. Makes for more atmosphere!

Linda and I walked up through town and agreed that our hotel was in the best location. We returned to the hotel for dinner, which was a BBQ. The dinner was good but the tour spoiled the atmosphere just a bit.

Saint Wolfgang