Day 1, 2010

Budapest Travel Blog

Merry Christmas in Magyar
Ahh, the first day of the New Year and I’m a little slow, a little hung over and feel like I could eat the plastic fruit that is on Aunt Katy’s dining room table. It’s still a little wet outside and the cold is keeping me from wanting to get up. So I’m fighting the desire for food with the desire to stay warm and dry. The fear of starving to death takes over, so I literally drag myself out of bed, get washed up and call a cab to get us home.

At home we have our last family get together. We had another traditional Hungarian meal. For New Years, it’s lentil soup. My understanding is that by eating lentil soup, you’ll have a prosperous and lucrative year. I was just happy to have something warm and tasty that would prevent me from autodigesting and if it brings me good karma for the new year, well that’s just an added bonus.
Hero's square
We also had some soup with big pieces for pork in it. I don’t know if that was part of the traditional meal but it sure was good and helped my unhappy stomach. My father in law kept on offering me champagne and the very thought of drinking alcohol made me gag a little bit.

We still needed to pack before our return flight home in the morning and I still wanted to go to Hero’s Square but we didn’t have to energy to move. So we decided on a nap instead. When we woke up it was completely pitch dark outside. After debating on packing or procrastinating and doing something more enjoyable, we decided go to Hero’s Square.

At night Hero’s Square is spectacular. The statues are brilliantly lit up and the crowds aren’t overwhelming. I really didn’t get a good idea of who or what the statues were of or why they were significant, but it was still neat to see.
Hero's square
On either side of the square are a couple of museums, unfortunately both were closed by the time we got there. Regardless, it was still nice to walk around and look around.

We went to Franz Liszt square one last time grabbed a couple of lattes at Café Karma (it had only been a few hours since we’d been there last). It seemed like the party atmosphere was still in the air. All along the square there were heated lamps with tons of people outside. Makes me wonder if they had gone home at all. At least in Café Karma the vibe was a little more relaxed, no loud music, just people having dinner. We sat for a while listening to downtempo music then decided that we really need to get home to pack. We said goodbye to the DJ, good bye to Karma and Franz Liszt square then good bye to Budapest.

Hero's square
Budapest Castle and the Chain Brid…
Budapest Castle and the Chain Bri…
Freedom Bridge and Gellert