Washington Crossing on Christmas Day

Washington Crossing Travel Blog

colonial soldiers marching
I have tried to make it a tradition to go to Washington Crossing, to see a reenactment of the event that happened on Christmas Day in 1776, but there are times when I won't be able to make it.

With nothing else to do on Christmas Day, I decided to take a trip to Washington Crossing, which is about an hour away from where I live. I would be going with my sister, and we drove out there.

I always enjoy the drive along the Delaware River on River Road, which is very scenic. Once we got close to the area, that was where there was a lot of traffic. We had to park very far into the lot, and walk quite a distance to the park, on an icy road. Plus I was still dealing with a sprained ankle, which happened 2 weeks before.
crossing the Delaware

We got to the park, which was very crowded and cold. But not as cold as it could be, with the temperature in the 40's, but a bit windy. And the place was still covered with snow, with only the paved trail being cleared.

It would be an hour until the reenactment would start. I walked up and down the park, looking at the various buildings, dating back to colonial times. When I got to the street, there was a parade of people in colonial costumes, marching on their way to crossing the Delaware. Some were play drums, holding muskets, or rolling their cannons, to the bank of the river. Just really fun to see.

We went back to our spot, and waited a little while for the reenactment to start. There were a few speeches given, but I was not really listening, because of the cold weather and trying to stay warm. After all that, the crossing of the Delaware has started. There were 3 boats carrying soldiers across the river to the New Jersey side, which was really cool to see.

Nearby, there were cannons that were fired, and they were loud as hell. I had to cover my ears whenever it was about to go off. After that, we headed back home.
WalterC says:
It was definitely interesting, even though it was so cold that day!
Posted on: Nov 21, 2015
Zagnut66 says:
I didn't know about this! Looks interesting.
Posted on: Nov 21, 2015