A Visit to the Small Zoo

Norristown Travel Blog

red panda playing with its toy

It was a very nice day, being unseasonably warm at this time of year. Around 60 F (or 15 C), I decided to make a visit to the Elmwood Park Zoo.

It was about 30 minutes from where I lived. I would drive to the zoo, going through the town of Norristown. I did have some trouble finding it, but was able to find it. Once I got there, I parked and then paid admission. I was disappointed that the ticket office ran out of zoo maps, which I like to collect, and depend on, to get around. Then entered the zoo.

Entering the zoo, it is not surprising that there were crowds, since it was Sunday and the weather being unseasonably warm. Very nice day to stroll around the zoo, though getting around the crowds was not fun.

American bisons
Not it was not nearly as bad as I have experienced at other zoos.

I would see some of the outdoor animals, like the red panda and bisons, as well as some of the farm animals. I went to one end of the zoo, where I would see some construction sites along the way. There will be a couple of new exhibits that have more space, for the giraffes and jaguars. I would see the jaguars out on display, but not the giraffes, as they are kept inside during the winter months.

After reaching one end, I went back a different way, seeing more animals, to the other side. I would see the different colored macaws (or parrots), along with bobcats and river otters. Then went inside the building called The Bayou, which had some of the reptiles and amphibians, along with some howler monkeys. It really smelled in there, but I guess, that is just way it is.
barred owl

Back out, I walked around the other parts of the zoo that I may have overlooked, and then headed back towards the entrance area. I would see the bald eagle and a large totem pole. Then exited the zoo. It took me about 1.5 to 2 hours to see the zoo. What I did think of this zoo? More about that, and more zoo photos in the review here.

After leaving the zoo, I went to the nearby high school, where I used to go with my church group back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Then looked around the area, seeing the entire open field at Norristown Farm Park. I only stayed for a very short time. Then headed back home!

It was a good day to get out, and see another zoo. Probably even closer than the Philly zoo, but I don't know for sure! Just glad to add another zoo to my list.

WalterC says:
Thanks!
Posted on: May 23, 2016
EmEm says:
It's a very nice zoo, with many interesting animals.
I have enjoyed reading your blog.
Posted on: May 22, 2016
monkeymia79 says:
They have a good range of animals there Walter. Love the photos of the jaguars.
Posted on: Mar 15, 2016
enclosure of the eagles
totem pole
totem pole
Norristown Sights & Attractions review
Worth visiting if already in the area, and want to see animals
Located outside of Philadelphia, the Elmwood Park Zoo is a small zoo in the town of Norristown, with a small collection. Getting to it, can be tri… read entire review
Norristown