First Minor League Game

Allentown Travel Blog

entrance to Coca-Cola Park

I wanted to check out a minor league baseball game, so I decided to go to an IronPigs game in Allentown. It was about an hour drive from where I lived.

The Lehigh Valley IronPigs are the AAA affiliate of the Phillies since 2008, when they moved to the area from Ottawa. Lehigh Valley itself, is a region in Eastern Pennsylvania. I would pass through it a lot during our family trips to the Pocono Mountains. Also, Lehigh University is where the Eagles have their preseason training camp.

So I got a head start, and drove up to Allentown. I've been to this city a few times, but never really took the time to really see it. One time, I had cousins living here, and went to the amusement park, Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom, a few times.

Coca-Cola Park
Honestly, all I really knew about it, was from the Billy Joel song of the same name. Driving through it now, I noticed how rundown it was.

I got to Coco-Cola Park, and got my ticket through will call. The ballpark looked like it was not in a good area, and the parking lot looked like that of one from an university. It did not seem to belong to the ballpark itself.

I went inside the ballpark, with some time left to look around. I noticed so many advertisements around the park, probably even more than some of the major league ballparks that I've been to. I considered buying some food, but decided against it.

I got a seat directly behind home plate, for only $10. First time ever, sitting this close to the action. I would sit next to some season-ticket holders, who I got to talk to.
postgame fireworks
While not at the level of the majors, it does a certain charm to it. And in this case, I may get to see some players who could become future Phillies stars.

The Lehigh Valley IronPigs took on the Charlotte Knights. The Knights took a 2-1 lead, before the IronPigs tied in the 4th inning. It would remain tied, and causing the game to go extra innings. A first for me. The IronPigs scored in the bottom of the 10th inning, as they beat the Knights, 3-2 in extra innings. After the game, was postgame fireworks. It was very short, and I think there were a few duds, as they seemed to have some trouble getting some of them off.

Afterwards, I went to the car, and would have to wait a long time until I got out. It took at least an hour to get out of the parking lot, as it was a chaotic mess. I would listen to the Phillies game in the meantime, as it was a little fuzzy at times. This part was no fun at all, and why I don't drive to games in Philly ever again. When I finally got out, I headed back home.

This was a fun outing to my first minor league game. And hopefully, more to come in the future.

Zagnut66 says:
I went to a Frederick Keys double header once in Frederick, MD (an Orioles affiliate). In the minors they limit each game in a double header to seven innings, so we were only there for about four hours. It was fun.
Posted on: Aug 14, 2013
vulindlela says:
Nice little ballpark, and a good crowd!
Posted on: Aug 14, 2013
statue of mascot
statue of mascot
Coca-Cola Park
look at all those advertisements!
look at all those advertisements!
view from my seat