Day Trip to Brandywine

Chadds Ford Travel Blog

Benjamin Ring House

I decided to do something different for a change, and took a day trip to see the Brandywine Battlefield site. It was about an hour drive from where I live. Luckily, it was a Sunday, otherwise it would have taken longer, due to traffic.

I went into the city of Chadds Ford, and arrived at the Brandywine Battlefield historic site. This was near where the Battle of Brandywine took place in 1777 during the Revolutionary War (or the American War of Independence). This was where George Washington (or GW for short) led the American troops to fight against the British troops, led by William Howe. The British won this battle, and allowed them to overtake the capital, which was Philadelphia at the time.

I arrived at the visitor center, where I would have to pay for both museum and house tour.

Washington's war room, in the parlour
The tour was about to start in minutes, so I had to get back to the car, and drive to the Benjamin Ring House. I got there, and was able to make it, right before the start of the tour.

We were shown different rooms of the house, by a tour guide, who was really interesting to listen to. He really seemed to enjoy telling the history of the place, and the battlelines that happened. This house was the home of Benjamin Ring, a Quaker who sided with the Americans, and allowed GW to stay there and plan for battle.

After the tour, I went back to the visitor center. First, I saw a film, which would have been the intro to the site. Then went to see the museum, which was small, and in 2 different rooms. After seeing all that, I went to another part of the park, to the Gideon Gilpin House.

This house was currently going through renovations, so I did not go inside it.
Gideon Gilpin House
Not much was mentioned about Gilpin, but his home is the only original on the site that is still standing. It was visited by Major General Lafayette, a French man who would help the Americans during the war. But that visit happened much later, and not during the war. And there is a sycamore tree that has been there since 1787. And I was done seeing this place.

So what I did think of this place? And is it worth visiting? More about all that in the review here.

I decided to go to Valley Forge next. But unfortunately, I did not have enough time to see it, since it got dark. So that entry will have to be another time, and possibly a combination of the 2 visits.

spocklogic says:
Kubrick only directed 16 films in a 50 year career. I've not seen his very early work (1951-1956), but after that he was on a 30 year roll of greatness with Paths of Glory(1957), Spartacus (1960), Lolita (1962), Dr. Strangelove (1964), 2001:A Space Odyssey (1968), A Clockwork Orange (1971), Barry Lyndon (1975), The Shining (1980) and Full Metal Jacket (1987). His last film Eyes Wide Shut (1999), while still interesting if a Kubrick fan, showed his absence from the directors chair for some 12 years. Those 9 films from 1957 to 1987 may perhaps be the greatest streak of brilliant films in the history of film making. Time for a Kubrick binge, Walter!
Posted on: Dec 09, 2015
WalterC says:
I have not seen it, and I don't think I ever saw any of Kubrick's films, though I have been meaning to see "2001: A Space Odyssey".
Posted on: Dec 09, 2015
spocklogic says:
"We conquered them at Brandywine. We vanquished them gloriously at Bunker's Hill. We marched triumphantly into Philadelphia with Howe." ~ William Makepeace Thackeray (The Memoirs of Barry Lyndon, Esq. - 1892). The novel was also made into the film "Barry Lyndon" directed by Stanley Kubrick. Great film if you've never seen it. It doesn't play on TV/cable much though I consider it one of Kubrick's best films.
Posted on: Dec 08, 2015
Benjamin Ring House
Washingtons war room, in the parl…
Washington's war room, in the par…
dining room in Benjamin Ring House
dining room in Benjamin Ring House
kitchen in Benjamin Ring House
kitchen in Benjamin Ring House
map of the Battle of Brandywine
map of the Battle of Brandywine
description on the Battle of Brand…
description on the Battle of Bran…
inside museum
barn house
barn house
Chadds Ford Sights & Attractions review
Only worth if really interested in Revolutionary War sites
Located about 1 hour outside of Philadelphia by car, in the town of Chadds Ford, the Brandywine Battlefield Historic Site was where the Battle of Bran… read entire review
Chadds Ford