Snuol - AKA: Sorry little town

Snuol Travel Blog

April 4th to April 6th, 2007

Snuol was referred to as the "sorry little town" by the writer of Lonely Planet. I hate to say it, but it's almost true!

So you are all probably wondering why I even went to Snuol. There really isn't anything to see that you wouldn't see in any other town in Cambodia but we weren't going there for the scenery. I went on this trip with my fiancé and his father (they are ethnically Cambodian) to visit their family. It was quite an experience but I'm getting ahead of myself here.

The first thing I'm going to mention is that the roads in Cambodia are pretty bad.  From Phnom Penh to Snuol it is about 160km. It took us close to 5 hours to get there (with a brief lunch stop).

When we finally got there, we were greeted by much of his family (and about 40 other people who were related to them in some way). His Grandmother's house was very nice (in Cambodian Standards). You'll notice that the majority of houses in Cambodia are on stilts. They claim it's because there is more of a breeze up there, but I think it has more to do with the flooding that occurs during the rainy season. They live off of well water, which we obviously didn't drink, and their toilet is basically anywhere you don't plan to have people standing. They did have an out-house, but I don't think it gets used (at least not so much from the men).

Since this place is such a small town, the locals are not used to seeing non-Asian foreigners (there are a lot of Vietnamese that pass through). My mother and I (who don't like to bake in the sun) were frequently stared at and touched by locals. A lot of my fiancé’s family would constantly grab my hand and hold it sometimes for as long as 10 minutes!

As I mentioned in my profile, probably one of my most memorable experiences was when we went to a "little" party. It was supposed to be a small get together of family, but of course the whole village was there. When we walked up, everyone stopped what they were doing and stared. I when I say they stared, I mean they made no attempt to hide the fact that they couldn't take their eyes off of us. I thought they would eventually go back to partying but no, they kept staring. In a gesture to get people back into the party mode, the four of us (My mother, fiancé, the father and I) started to dance Cambodian style. My fiancé’s father is the only one who can actually dance like that but we did it anyways and had a blast. It did nothing to keep their eyes off of us though. Eventually, the awkwardness started to get to us and we left. It was very interesting, to say the least, but I guess I got a good dose of what it is like to be a celebrity, even if it was just because I had white skin!

I have so much more to add, but I'll have to do it as I go along.