Into the Frozen Tundra

Green Bay Travel Blog

Oshkosh, Wisconsin, USA

Started off by flying into Milwaukee by way of Cleveland, from Baltimore.  Would have preferred a non-stop rather than two one hour hops, but it was the best I could do using my miles.  So for a free flight, I can't complain much.

Upon arrival in Milwaukee, I was picked up by my friend who lives out there.  I was now in Wisconsin for the first time.  It was snowing moderately heavy, but didn't seem to be sticking to the roads too much, so we were off on the two and a half hour drive north to Green Bay.

The drive is through the beautiful Wisconsin countryside, full of dairy farms.  You pass through several notable towns, such as Fond Du Lac, Oshkosh (yes, the home of the childrens clothing) and Appleton, before arriving in Green Bay.

Arrival at Lambeau

Upon arrival at Green Bay, we went straight to the holy grail, the Mecca for American Football fans: Lambeau field.  There, we took the stadium tour, visited the Packer Hall of Fame and the pro shops before heading to the hotel, the Hilton Garen Inn.

The HGI was nice, for the most part.  Very comfy beds, a nice warm room into which you can escape the coldness outside; however, hot water seemed to be a luxury, as all we could muster was lukewarm.  Oh well.

That night, we wandered back to Lambeau to eat at Curly's Pub.  Located inside the Lambeau Field Atrium, Curly's serves American food, with some decidedly Wisconsin dishes, such as Macoroni and Beer Cheese, Brauts, and Beer Cheeseburgers.  They also have a fine selection of regional beers!

After dinner, we went across the street to the Best Western where a bunch of my friend's friends were hanging out poolside (obviously an indoor pool), drinking beer; Miller Lite and Milwaukee's Best aka "Beast" seem to be the preferred brands.  The atmosphere was great; nearly everyone was there for the Packers game, so the good cheer and beer were flowing freely.  The hotel didn't mind, as long as you didn't have any glass bottles.

So, after meeting a lot of new and very nice people from Wisconsin, everyone called it a night at around 11:00pm. After all, the party would start very early the next day...

DCBackpacker says:
Lambeau really is the football fan's version of Mecca...I take it you were in town for the Seattle game...hope you enjoyed it!
Posted on: Dec 29, 2009
Vince Lombardi statue
Vince Lombardi statue
Curly Lambeau statue
Curly Lambeau statue
Stadium tour - view from a luxury …
Stadium tour - view from a luxury…
The field is being thawed out
Players' tunnel
At night
At night
Green Bay Hotels & Accommodations review
The Hilton Garden Inn is super comfy, surprisingly quiet (even the weekend of a Packers game), has a very friendly and helpful staff and has a great b… read entire review
Green Bay Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
It's inside Lambeau; how can you go wrong?
Located in the Lambeau Field atrium, and named after the guy who basically founded the Packers, Curly's Pub is a must visit for those making the trek … read entire review