Venice, Italy

Venice Travel Blog

Arriving at Venice

One of the most beautiful and unique cities in Italy that I have been to yet!  This city on an island is so amazing.  The water that runs through the city, the views from Venice of the adjacent islands, the sun reflecting off the water, and all the boats and gondolas were so great to see.  Boats in Venice are like buses in any other city.  The sight we experienced when first arriving to Venice was amazing!  The train takes you straight to the edge of the canal running through the city and the sight was wonderful.  It was an ideal image of Venice since it was our first view of it.

Piazza San Marco

We took a boat (like a bus) to the island Lido.  We stayed at a hotel there during this field trip.  The day after arrival we took the boat to Piazza San Marco on the Venice island and toured it with the professors for the day.  The most noticeable thing there is the mass amount of pigeons.  They cover the ground like a blanket!  Especially when there’s someone feeding them!  Matt G. and I bought some bird food to feed them just to experience how it’s like to have pigeons eat out of our hands and perch on our arms and heads!  It was a fun experience because everyone, including people watching, had a great time.

Some other things we did there during our walk was see the Ponte Vecchio bridge and the island Burano.  Burano was a very small yet colorful island.

Ponte Vecchio
  The houses were colored with bright paints and the small canal running through it along with these houses in the background made a great picture.  This island is also known for their linens.  There were so many shops selling all kinds of table clothes and other home accessories.

We also went to an international art museum in Venice.  This museum or art gallery features art from around the entire world.  Modern art of ALL KINDS.  This museum alternates between art and architecture every year, so last year’s seniors saw the architecture, this year we were able to experience the art.  I think either way it would have been great because I loved the art on display.  Everything there was such an inspiration and so thought provoking.  Most of the art there really tried to capture the mind and influence the observer with a message.  Ask me for some more pictures and information about it when I get back!

Matt R. celebrated his birthday during our stay in Venice.  We saw our first Burger King since these past couple months right by Piazza San Marco in Venice.  A group of us decided to celebrate his birthday at that Burger King just for fun.

Overall, I loved the water lining each building and the gondolas we saw and all the boat rides we took to get to different places.  This is a place I would love to come back to just to see the beauty of it again.
Pigeons!!!