Santorini Island, Greece

Santorini Travel Blog

stairway down to the room

Just to warn my readers about this blog, I’m going to talk as if I’m exaggerating, but this island in Greece deserves it and you will see why in my pictures or better yet, if you go to Santorini you will be amazed.

This Greek island was fantastic.  First impression of it was not so good, though.  From the plane the island looks very bland and boring and not too pretty.

great view!
  In fact, the island from above looks like a grading plan with topography lines because the landform has been shaped that way by… probably the water.  So we arrived at the airport and called a taxi to take us to our hotel.  There is no bus that stops at the airport so a taxi is the only way to get to and away from the airport.  So we drive along the island, going up the hills and seeing the view of the ocean.  All the time during the drive we kept on seeing the ugly landscape or just brown colored ground with no vegetation and some houses scattered along them.  I felt really disappointed because I expected something great since this island is known as one of the most beautiful out of the Greek islands.  So we stop on the side of the rode to get dropped off and we walk to our hotel---not toward the ocean where we have been viewing, but the other side of the street where the houses are located.  We made our way through a small walkway to a path and it was like a smack in the face---BEAUTY everywhere you look.
sunset
  The sun was shining so bright and the clouds parted.  The breeze carrying my hair and the bright WHITE of the surrounding houses and structures blind me but the water down below from where I’m standing and the islands in the distance just cradle my eyes and I do a 180 degree panoramic gaze and take a fresh breath of air and right then I feel 100% brilliant and so so happy!  It was an amazing experience just to step up to the top of the hill and gaze around and make my way down decorated steps and find our hotel room built into the rock of the hill.  Beauty everywhere.  Great weather and just a clean feeling and clean look to the entire cove in which we stayed.  Amazing!!!!

From what I just told you I feel that I described the island through my sensory, but here’s a quick description of what the island is like.

stairs at night
  So we were basically on an angled cliff within a moon shaped cove area with a mass of ocean water below us and views of the rest of the city or buildings clear in sight because of the angle of the cliff.  There were other islands in the distance and the sun was just straight ahead in our view when we looked out and it was shining bright, radiating the white colored houses and stairways everywhere we turn.  There was a gentle breeze and fresh air.  The hotel we stayed at was totally a vacation hotel—an ideal vacation home with seating outside, a pool and spa down some more stairs, and fantastic views of the area.  Here’s a good break down statement:  no one can take a bad picture at Santorini.  Even if you’re the worst photographer, just turn on your camera and snap!  Beautiful photos everywhere you snap.

Ok, so now that I’ve described the island here’s what we did there:  rest, sleep, swim, sit and chat, walk and shop, eat.

view of ocean from walkway above
  There was a lot of resting going on there since it was so peaceful and calm.  The weather couldn’t be more perfect when we arrived.  That night, though, it started raining and the rain carried on to the next day.  It was on and off rain and harsh winds the next day.  But by that night the rain cleared and we viewed the sunset.  The day after that was a little cloudy with the sun peaking in and out but I think, no matter what weather, that place can be so beautiful.

I was sad when we had to leave.  It seemed like our stay there was forever.  I took so many pictures but the ones you see here are only a few.  Maybe not even the best photos of the place but they give you an idea of how it was like, but of course photos cannot capture its beauty than our plain eye sight.  Loved it.

WINDY days!