Chocolate Festival in Perugia

Perugia Travel Blog

Chocolate for Sale!

My friends and I and most of the students at our school here in Italy went to the EuroChocolate Festival in Perugia which is a city about an hour and a half away from Castiglion Fiorentino.  I was feeling sick that morning so I did not enjoy the train ride.  But once we got to the festival and saw all the booths and tents full of different brands of chocolate I slowly started to feel better.  We had lunch there and I got myself a nice cold Ice Tea drink which was delicious.

We had to take a bus to get to the top of Perugia where the festival was located.

Chocolate Dipped Bananas!
  Then we took many escalators to get to what looked like an underground city where we almost got lost in because of its maze like features.  We were disappointed at this time because we were thinking "this is IT??".  But then we took another escalator up to the open air and saw the mass amount of white tents set up selling top European brand chocolates everywhere!  The main street which the festival ran through was so long!  Tents branched off into smaller streets and continued along another street parallel to the main one.  There were free chocolate samples if you looked like you were interested in buying something.  There were also so many different types of alcoholic CHOCOLATE beverages!  I did not try any of them but my friends did say they were pretty good…….  Some examples of the cool chocolate products at the festival includes chocolate that is shaped like real objects such as a wrench, a playing card, animals, a horse shoe, a soccer ball, a mouse, etc.  Other cool chocolate products included chocolate covered popcorn and chocolate dipped bananas!  This festival was so much fun for the chocolate fan because everywhere you turned, there was something that looked so delicious and displayed so nicely!  Everything CHOCOLATE!  Everything looked great!  I bought about 12 euro worth of chocolate which is not too much compared to some of my comrades.
Me and some of my Chocolates!
  J  We also got a bag full of free Lindt brand chocolate!  We waited in a short line (at the moment) and walked into a dark hall where there were boxes full of free wrapped chocolate pieces.  At first we were confused and thought… “is this all FREE??”  So I carefully observed what everyone else was doing and I realized “YES its free!  Grab, Grab!!”  So I took handfuls and handfuls of the delicious chocolates of different flavors.  I grabbed the most out of my friends…  sadly I think I grabbed more of the 75% and 85% coco pieces because those were the boxes in the end, and by that time I KNEW for sure they were free, so I ended up getting more of those….

This trip was lots of fun.

More of my Chocolates!
  Four hours later we had bags full of chocolate bars and other chocolate goodies to take home to eat now or later!  I haven’t eaten anything I bought yet since I just recently got sick, possibly a cold.  So, I’m laying off the sweets for a while, even though I just bought top quality stuff!!!  It’s ok though, I must get better for our exciting trip coming up!  Venice is this week and right after that IS Greece then Egypt!  I’ll tell you about it in the next couple entries.  J

Eric says:
Hey I went to this too...Unfortunately I ate so much chocolate within the first 5 minutes of arriving that the rest of the festival wasn't as enjoyable :P
Posted on: Oct 15, 2007