AfricaEgyptCairo

Arriving in Egypt

Cairo Travel Blog

OCTOBER 23-24

We arrived in Egypt at around 3 or 4 am!  When we exited the plane we walked to Passport Control and experienced some culture shock right away!  Another plane just landed and Egyptians and Muslim people flooded the airport making us feel very alienated while waiting in the long Passport Control line that took forever to get through.  Anyway, we met up with our tour guide whom we recognized because of the sign he held up which said “Pack2Egypt”, the name of our tour.  So we got our visas for Egypt and went to the mini van provided from the tour we purchased.

During the flight we were served an airplane meal which I ate (for some strange reason) at around 1 or 2 in the morning although I was extremely tired and felt disgusted while I ate the food.

A pedestrian view down a street in Cairo
  I didn’t want it, but since it was in front of me, I ate some of it anyway.  SO, during the ride to our hotel I had a pretty bad stomach ache.  It must’ve been the combination of airplane food and a very bumpy road that made it very upset!  I was clenching my stomach until we got to the hotel.  The Zayed Hotel in which we stayed is a pretty nice hotel!  It’s a 3 star hotel only but I guess that’s a decent rating for a hotel in Egypt.  If we wanted to go super fancy we would’ve stayed in the Four Seasons Hotel by the Nile River but the Zayed Hotel was definitely a good cheaper choice.  So we basically just got our room keys and settled down.  I was SO tired that I just plopped in bed and knocked out!  I didn’t change my clothes or get ready for bed or take out my contacts, I had no energy to do so.  I felt well rested in the morning.

So the next morning Oct.

Our shopping basket
24 we met with our tour guide who gave us a quick history lesson and some tips about Cairo and Egypt in general.  After that we were free to walk the streets to experience the life in the busy city.  We got some lunch at a Teriyaki Japanese fast food place and went to the market for some snacks.  We realized that Egypt is very Americanized with their products and restaurants.  For example, they had KFC, Papa John’s, Carl’s Jr., and Baskin Robbins.  After our little walk we went back to the hotel and met up with our tour guide at around 5pm.  We took the van to the Nile River for a Felluca ride!  A felluca is a sail boat.  It was a great 1.5 hour ride in the Nile during the evening.  I really enjoyed sailing out there away from the loud and busy streets of Cairo.  It was relaxing and great to actually be in the Nile!

It was a relaxing first day in Cairo.  The next day Oct. 25 was when we saw all the famous Pyramids and the ideal Cairo tour!

Cairo Airport sign
A pedestrian view down a street in…
A pedestrian view down a street i…
Where we stayed