Dunes of the Sahara

Ksar Ghilane Travel Blog

I wake up early to go and see the sunshine over the camp site where I have spent the night roughing it a bit with some camping. It is a bit chilly here this morning and you can feel the fresh desert air. I walk up the stairs of the big tower in the middle of the campground from where you can watch the surrounding desert and the sunrise in the distance. The campground is surrounded by lots of dunes on several sides. From the top of the tower I can look out at the dunes - here before sunrise they look like one big mass with all of them just coming together as on giant dune. But just after the first sun the landscape change.

When the sun hits the dune they start to change color and they suddenly cast a shade. Now the dunes do not look like a giant mass but like individual dunes. The dunes on three sides are contrasted by a big oasis with lots of palm tree on the other side.  After having enjoyed the sunrise it is time for a quick breakfast before heading out into the dunes.

Heading towards the dunes I pass some steaming water - there is actually a hot spring at the camp site and the water to the main pool is flowing by the side of the road in a small stream. People are actually swimming in the hot pool - but I am not prepared for this. I did not bring any swimmers since I had no expectations of going swimming in the middle of the winter. Instead I head into the dunes and wander through them.

The dunes are fascinating with the wind forming the small dunes. Even out here in the middle of the sand there are the unlike signs of life in the form of some plants hanging on hoping to catch just a little bit of water once in a while.

sylviandavid says:
I like your photos here..... Sylvia
Posted on: Feb 18, 2010
Ksar Ghilane Hotels & Accommodations review
If you don’t mind roughing it a bit you might consider going for camping down in the dunes of Ksar Ghilane. The camp is just at the northern edge of… read entire review
Ksar Ghilane