A Semster of Experiences

United Kingdom Travel Blog

Cardiff Castle as seen from Bute Park
So of course Cardiff was way too cool to blog while I was actually there.
Cardiff itself isn't that exciting.  Coming from San Francisco, I was expecting a metropolitan center, I mean it was sold to me as "Cardiff! The glamourous capital of Wales!" Not so much, but I must say, every Welsh person I encountered was lovely, and it really is the people the Cardiff who make the city such a great place to be.
Cardiff Castle is quite interesting itself.  The castle that you can tour was built in the late 1700s and has a very diverse decorating schemes, one room is painted with a horoscope theme, another has a mosque theme.  However the Norman keep from the 1200s still remains, and you can climb around it.  Probably why it's crumbling so much to be honest, but a cool adventure if you get there soon.
Welsh Millennium Center
  The Bay is pretty cool too, coming from a beach town I kind of liked how the bay was always deserted and kind of morose.  And it was awesome that they had an "American Diner" which was so stereotypical it almost hurt.  Seriously, waiters with American flag ties and Elvis out front.  Love it.
I got out of Cardiff a few times though.  I went to Swansea in early November.  Swansea is the other major city in Wales, and I had one hell of a bender on Wind Street.  Just to note, Wind Street has the highest number of pubs and clubs in all of the UK.  We also went hiking on the coast and it was absolutely beautiful.  I'd probably have more to say if I didn't get so wrecked the first night.
I went to Bath with three of my flatmates in mid October, and I have to say, it was utterly amazing!  Bath Abby is quite beautiful and really dominates the city, it was such a beautiful church and probably the biggest I'd seen at the time.
Bath Abbey
  The Roman Baths was a really inspiring place to be.  The self guided tour takes about two hours and it's well worth it, especially as there has been extensive excavation of the baths and there are a lot of interesting artifacts which have been pulled from the pools. During this trip we also went to Salisbury and to Stonehenge.  Stonehenge was... while not as large as I was expecting, it definitely met the mystical presence expectation I'd been building up.  Salisbury Cathedral is massive, it's incomprehensible.  Unfortunately, mass was in session so we weren't able to explore the interior, but the courtyard was beautiful.
A flatmate and I took a trip to Northern Ireland together in order to see the Giant's Causeway.  It's more impressive than I was expecting.  As was the -2 degree Celcuis weather with wind chill.  I wouldn't make a trip just for the Causeway, but you must see it if you're in Ireland!
But honestly, Cardiff was an amazing experience, and it's a place that I feel really needs to be experienced as a resident to really enjoy it.
Cardiff Castle as seen from Bute P…
Cardiff Castle as seen from Bute …
Roman Baths