Prelude

Manila Travel Blog

I've been planning this trip off and on for over a month now but not effectively.  To much time has been devoted to non-travel stuff (getting time off from work, etc.)  Worse yet, since I only moved to the Philippines from the US a few months ago, my life is in utter disarray; most of my stuff is still in storage, back in The States.  At least I have my plane ticket & hotel reservation.

Since I've been working so much & haven't had occasion to spend, my budget for this excursion is higher than my last jaunt (to The Bahamas).  With that in mind, and considering the rustic and austere conditions in which I've spent the last couple of months, I've decided to stay at a 'nicer' hotel, with (I hope) a really comfortable bed.  Here's the part where I reveal something about myself: Having come all this way, I simply can't justify staying in a brand-name/chain hotel so that rules out Sheraton, Hilton, etc.  After some research, I stumbled across The Gallery Hotel, which seems to fit the bill.  It should be a unique enough experience to compliment the rest of this trip.

I still have a fair amount of pre-travel business to resolve, not the least of which is exchanging currency.  If you've ever arrived in a country w/o local currency, you know how debilitating that can be.  It happened to me in Austria.  Somewhere, there is a restauanteur still thinking, "Kinder..."

3 days from now I'll be at the New Year's Eve TravBuddy MeetUp