Museums, University & Shopping

Singapore Travel Blog

Cupola at the Singapore National Museum.

I decided to devote a day to 'indoor' activities, like museums.  First stop: Book Cafe for breakfast.  There I was able to select a couple of museums I wanted to visit.  Two which are close together are the Singapore Art Musem and the National Musem of Singapore [Let me check the name on this one].  They're almost across the street from one another.  Off I went, towards Orchard Road, then right towards the museums.  First stop: SAM.  I wasn't impressed.  First, only about 1/2 of the galleries were open; I was expecting more.  Second, almost the entire museum was displaying Philippino art.  I guess I just couldn't get past the idea of travelling so far to see something from my point of origin.

Next up: The National Museum of Singapore.  First, I had to cross the Singapore Management University campus.  It is small but, like most everything else, modern.  I did find a small 'snack bar'/sandwich counter and ordered some random items of food.  Actually, I asked the woman working behind the counter to choose something for me, hoping to get a different culinary experience.  It worked.  It was also a good idea.  I never would have known about or experienced what I had that day.  Honestly, I still don't know what it was, except for the deep-fried-tofu-on-a-stick.  The closest I can come to describing the rest of my snack would be 'sushi-tempura'; deep-fried fish, wrapped in seaweed.

On to the museum.  This is what I was hoping for, a more in-depth survey of Singaporean history.  Modern Singapore is covered extensively.  It was very informative.  If you have time, I recommend it.

After the museums, since my time in Singapore was running low, I decided to devote some time to gift shopping and a good meal before I had to start packing.

Cupola at the Singapore National M…
Cupola at the Singapore National …
Singapore Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
A Neat Cafe
I ate here twice, once for breakfast and a second time, days later, coffee and dessert. Breakfast: The coffee was good; they have sugar cubes inste… read entire review
Singapore