Wrangell

Wrangell Travel Blog

In Wrangell

Well, I am now in Wrangell and guess the rain finally found us. And has now for days. I am planning on leaving town soon and heading down to Anan Bay where there is a bear watching observatory and where the brown bears mingle actually with black bears along the same creek. This is one of South East Alaska’s largest salmon runs and is always good for bear viewing in close proximity.

From there, I intend to circumnavigate both Wrangell island and Etolin island, then either go back to Wrangell or Petersburg and put the boat up for winter and call it a year. I think that would be around mid September. Then I will either visit friends in Seattle or head back to San Antonio. I am still unsure where I am going or what I am doing. I am just enjoying each day and making the best of being here. I do not want to stop now and would love to keep going.

There are those I have called and appreciate the conversations and emails and communications. It is nice after being between communities to receive these things. The haze and smokey skies from the fires up above British Columbia have been so thick, that at times it looks like I am in L.A. or there is a tall fog on the waters. Sometimes you cannot even see the other side of the bay. But the rain will clear the smoke out and soon things will return back to normal. I just don’t know if the sun is done for the year or will come back out again in full force. No one seems to want to venture a guess up here. Nor does anyone want to guess what winter may be like.

So, I leave soon and will head out again, for again who knows how long… but will try to update when can.

Wrangell