change of scenery

Langkawi Travel Blog

we're now back in langkawi, and it sure is quite different here.  the food kicks ass, and there's a lot to do...but the vibe of koh lipe was more my speed.  we scored the last room in gecko guest house, a place that i had read a lot of positive review of online.  and its not bad...good location - friendly staff...but the 'resident monkeys' i was so looking forward to are chained to a tree in the backyard, which i'm not so thrilled about, the room is quite small (but dirt cheap) and the shared bathroom is a bit gnarley.  that said, we got lucky as everything around here is completely full.  there's a strange mix of tourists here...so far we haven't made any friends...but tonight is NYE, so i'm sure that will change quickly (although just the company i'm in is superb).

had an easy one last night - awesome fish and chips and guinness at a real deal irish pub.  today we set out to rent motorbikes to explore the island...but lo and behold, you need a license to do...  i was REALLY bummed about it and it took all of my energy to not be pouty and cranky about it.  so we opted for a taxi and checked out the seven wells waterfall.  very pretty.  lots of monkeys.  they were very close to them but i was hesitant to approach them as they seemed like they could pounce at any second.  in fact, one tried to steal christie's water bottle and gnashed his teeth at her when she wouldnt give it.  after seven wells, we headed over to a really nice beach for a bit, but it was super hot and the water was a little murky (which again made me long for lipe).  came back to cenang beach and had a massage and my ears candled... gonna chill for a bit then get prettied up for a nice dinner (hopefully lobster) and a beach side bar to ring in 2010.

ugh...i know...boring facts and figures.  am not in such an inspired mood right now, and i will certainly add more about my impressions when i am more mentally alert.
Langkawi