Beautiful Guanacaste Costa Rica

Playa del Coco Travel Blog

Hey TB friends,

I did it!

I have been here three months now and everyday is still an adventure, from the Congo Trail zip lining tour to surfing some great waves in Tamarindo I have been taking it all in. I like it so much I decided to stay and make this my second home, so I have rented a house on the beach for a year, a moderate dwelling 2100 square feet with all the amenities and only75 meters to the water, (still working on my metrics and colones)

The food is wonderful if you are a seafood lover, last night I had dinner with some new friends at Finesteria Restaurant, A beautiful dwelling on the top of the cliffs in Playa Hermosa (a five minute drive to the next sleepy little town up the coast) overlooking the ocean, in the distance you could see the Four Seasons on Papagayo Bay, The sunset was postcard material as is every sunset here it seem.

The trip to San Jose was a fun adventure in itself, a good four hour drive south where you feel like you are in the biggest go-cart race of your life! Pass or be passed here is the Motto: It's a game of Roulette with the fastest vehicle on the road: the Bimbo Bread Trucks, the Tour Buses and the feared 18 wheelers, all better known as the "Erasers" here, for this is what happens when you loose in the roulette game. Don't get me wrong driving here is very safe, just need to be a very defensive driver. You can still chat with your friend in the passenger seat! Just can't keep looking at them!!! Once to San Jose we drove around in the city for what seemed another three hours taking it all in, it was all well worth it, the people watching the mom and pop shops, the motorcyclist cutting between the cars clipping your mirrors, hilarious. I was able to pick up a 1988 Toyota Hilux (equivalent to the US Tacoma) for around seven million colones, about twelve thousand US. WoW !! used car salesmen unite!!!! Pricey here but certain items here are cheap (like food) and certain things are not (like cars and electronics), a Blackberry Tour here sells for around $800 American in the mall stores.

Playing over these last couple of months has led me into several business adventures that have worked out quite well, and since arriving I have purchased several toys to to set up my retirement business. The first week I procured a boat for parasailing and have since completely restored it to its' glory, we will put it in the water tomorrow (April 4th) for a test run and will be taking up customers by April 12th.  The second week here I gathered up 7 Jet Skis, 7 kayaks and a hobie cat to play on, Am I crazy I thought!! No not yet!! This last week I bought a 45' sailboat to do tour charters with. I'll have to admit at times I have to pinch myself, this place, my new found friends here (are amazing people) and the slower pace of life is just what I needed.

There is so much more to tell, but I just wanted to get started writing. I will add as I have time as things start slowing down.  I am falling into "Tico Time" and looking forward to it! So it's off to a barbeque with some local friends and their families.

Pura Vida