Nairobi

Nairobi Travel Blog

Kenya

So Kenya starts with a sort of love story. First day in the hostel I meet someone that, wow, I don't know. It was just super easy and a fun time we spent together. It wasn't very slick, but I can't help it. It was only a day before she left. The day after she left, I would start to think of her and find myself walking into things.  I remember the first time we were around each other and I couldn’t stop myself from looking over at her on the other side of room.

Which leads to the other downside of traveling, making great friendship and whatever else that just seems to end too quickly. You know there are some amazing people at the next hostel. But there are just some really cool people you meet that you wish they lived down the street and not across the world.

It's a big bummer.

Kenya is probably the only place in Africa I would live. So that means I loved it. The weather is great. You would never guess the equator runs through it. It's that perfect first spring day cool breeze weather. The place is really developed and people seem normal. In that since they have seen a few guys before, you’re nothing special.

The landscape of northern Kenya was great with great viewpoints. There even some zebras and baboons on the side of the road. Baboons again suck. Those things tear your face off if they wanted to. Scary stuff.

No geography

So if you say you biked from Cape Town, you get an “ok so what” reaction.

But if you say you left the capital a few days ago, you get treated like you’re a superstar. The same thing goes for when they ask you where you’re going. Say the next capital and they think you’re crazy. But say Uganda and there is a blank look on their faces. I had a map of southern and eastern Africa. I would break it out to show where I have traveled. You have to wait a few minutes because this is the first time most of these guys have seen a map. Everyone is so busy looking at such a foreign world.

No idea of distance.

I love to ask how far to the next town. Most of the time I know already, but the locals’ answers are great. They’re almost never right and not even close. Sometime I will ask even when there is a sign right there with the correct distance and they will still be way off.

I could get away with murder. No joke. I don't want to prove it, but I'm pretty sure it's true. I walk right around airport security check-points and no one said a thing.

Nairobi