Livingstone Travel Blog

My first day in Zambia started out great. I meet a fellow biker on tour and enjoyed some great company that night.

The next morning I woke early and used the hostels wireless internet to download some radio shows to my iPod. Then just relaxed for the rest of the morning.

Then the police came to speak with me.  They wanted to know about my trip and what I was doing that morning. I told them about the iPod. They asked over and over again if I had anything else in my hands. I told them my charger and nothing else that I could remember. It turns out I couldn't remember everything. We went to watch the hostel security video and tried to see what else I had in my hands.

From the video it looked like a greyish black bag which is where I stored my charger. The police took that as me trying to lie and assumed I had something else I was hiding. Finally the hostel owner took me aside and we talked alone. I showed him my iPod, charger and black bag from the video. At this point he filled me in. A girl had left her grey bag in the lobby and someone had taken money out of it. He told me I wasn't in trouble.

Moral of the story is to never talk to the police alone. I should have call the US Embassy and got my consulate. Oh and don't leave your stuff in public places if you don't want it taken.

I was lucky. The hostel staff is accused of stealing all the time. One staffer was accused of stealing an iPod. They called the cops on her and she swore she didn't take.  Money was taken out of her wages to pay for the new iPod. Later they found the iPod. But it was mailed back to the owner. The staffer didn't get her wages back. Basically nothing you can do about it. You can't quit one of the few good jobs in the area.

photo by: sarahsan