Etosha National Park

Rundu Travel Blog

First safari. Yeah, it was a great. As a child, I would wake up at 6am on Saturdays to watch National Geographic and play with Legos. Now I'm seeing the stuff with my own eyes.

Giraffes move so gracefully when they move. Their head moves in a bobbing motion as they walk. They move fast when they run. But their legs move so slowly. It's like they run in slow motion.

We saw the most stuff in a period of 30 minutes. We found a male lion like 15 feet from the bus at one point. He didn't think anything of us and let us watch him for a bit. We left after awhile. On the way back, I saw him being chased by a rhino. As we backed up to see them, no else in the tour believed what I saw. Once we found the lion again, he was hiding behind a bush. Then a few minutes later we saw a few elephants. Our guide knew where they were going and we went to head them off. It turns out to be a family of 26.  They were all different ages and it was so much fun to watch them drink. We were told they had left the park due to the rain.

Springboks do this hoping movement. It's called spunking. It's my favorite thing to watch. They hop in a semicircle and do not bend their legs at all. It's like the movement comes from somewhere other than them. They do it to warn the others. Their young do it when they are happy. Since the rains just started, they were pretty happy.

photo by: marg_eric