first day in Barcelona

Barcelona Travel Blog

I'm alive concerned parties.

Sleepy, having slept but a handful of hours, after taking the Thalys train from Paris Nord to Brussels Gare Midi, sightseeing Brussels for uhh 4 hours, eating too many moules frites, croquettes, two Belgian waffles, and drinking a Kriek, and then hopping on a delayed Ryain air flight from Charleroi Brussels to Girona Barcelona airport...

Room is lovely, in a gothic charming building of dark stone, terra cotta floors, cactus flowers, small punch pink blooms, dark woods, yellow walls, watercolored paintings, chocolate brown coverlets, and graceful balconies.

To sleep, then to meet up with couch surfers who have messaged me for tapas/drinks and hopefully some good shenanigans. Also to post some cards, shower, and all that other good stuff.

Reached Luis Rodriguez, my potential future couchsurfing host in Madrid. He's willing to receive me in January.

Wandered Plaza Jaume, Plaza St. Miguel, Las Ramblas...The shopping here is amazing, I'm not even a huge shopper as I want money to stay on the road a bit more than things that I haven't space for in my backpack anyway but DAMN does Barcelona challenge this.

Went shopping at Zara, the minimalist straight off the runway type clothes with chatty Singaporean Joey and sweet Indonesian Maria. In Toronto, Canada where I just visited my poppa's side of the family, Zara's was twice the price. Got a lovely sleeveless grey sweater/vest type.

Searched for tapas, ate fruit with the girls at the holiday market. Christmas is upon us! Holly, pines, painted ornaments, holiday lights piled on top of each other.

Saying good night to the girls, Maria's on her way to Germany, Joey on her way to her couch surfing host, I separate from them and wander lost for almost an hour...also was tailed by a talkative Spaniard whom I ignored as if he didn't exist. Eventually I lost him when I was firm and obvious that I was on to him following me...Exchanged money at the worst exchange rate ever, fairly annoyed at myself, good that it was a small amount...As a lesson, I won't eat breakfast and won't buy any souvenirs tomorrow since it was what I lost.

Spoke with friendly Kurdish across the hall in my hostel, forgot his name, arrange to sightsee with him on Christmas as tomorrow I will keep Joey company shopping, then attend a holiday party with her. Also had a chat with the chap from reception, Abdul from Pakistan.

Bought $25 Skype credit, the rate is amazing.

Laying down after eating too much Jamon for the sake of being in Spain, as at home, I abstain from mammal meat and am more pescatarian. Drank it down with too much pear juice, and bread. Was too tired for restaurant because was wandering for an hour looking for my Pension hostel to go out to be lost again. Especially because we're located on a small side street.
Africancrab says:
Thanks for sharing, interesting blogs you write Stephanie
Posted on: Feb 06, 2010
festerwretch says:
Ahh!
Posted on: Jan 08, 2010
Transitory says:
Oh I put question marks, I meant I was offered marijuana, hash, and cervesa! apologies for misunderstanding :)
Posted on: Jan 07, 2010
Barcelona Hostels review
Pension Mariluz for youngsters
Located off of Plaza Jaume, and Plaza St. Miguel, on a quiet street which is a bit shady at night, Pension Mariluz is a bit hard to find. Not quite as… read entire review