The Ninth Day of Christmas

San Antonio Travel Blog

Its New Years eve and we haven’t gone to visit anyone else since we’ve been here so after another great breakfast me and Devin head off into San Antonio to catch up with some old friends. We do a little shopping for gifts and head to the other side of town to meet up for coffee and good conversation with friends. I was hoping to catch up with Audrey and the kids but the kids didn’t make it back home from their grandma’s house yet. Audrey was always a good friend and used to take Devin for the weekends so I could go out or just because the kids wanted to see him. Its good people like her that made me really appreciate the goodness of people even when you don’t have much. She stands there and talks in her scrubs, when I left she was still in school struggling and its good to see she’s come a long way. We talk for about an hour before Dev and I take off to meet other friends. Before we leave I tell her we would like to see the kids before we leave town and that we may stop by tomorrow on the way out.

Now, tonight is New Years Eve and in San Antonio fireworks are a must. So Dev and I stop by the fireworks store and grab a few things. On the way back to Rosemary’s house we grab some pizza and the mandatory champagne and crown. We get to the house and whip everyone into frenzy as they seemed to be too calm for it to be New Years. The lights go on and the beer is opened and outside we can hear the entire neighborhood lighting fireworks that are probably better left to the professionals but hey this is TEXAS! After eating we make our way out to the street to join in lighting up the block, at this point the kids are excited with just the sparklers and smoke bombs. But then I break out the rockets and fountains and the rest of the good stuff and they love it even more. Now I will give one disclaimer, Rosemary’s 3yr old heard the first explosion and ran as fast as he could back to the front door and was pounding on it to get in. It was too loud and scary for him but to a 3 yr old it may as well have been a war zone, so he retired to watching cartoons during the festivities. Back outside the neighbors up and down the block were all out lighting off fireworks and celebrating the New Year and it really was a good community feeling. We figured it was the New Year when we saw fireworks on EVERY block going off, very cool. We head back to the house and the kids go back to playing and the adults to drinking and eventually it was time to call it a night, after all we have to drive out of here in 5hrs. Yawn….it was a great way to bring in the New Year, seeing and being around old friends and genuinely good people.

Tomorrow we drive.

Its New Years day and we haven’t gone to visit anyone else since we’ve been here so after another great breakfast me and Devin head off into San Antonio to catch up with some old friends. We do a little shopping for gifts and head to the other side of town to meet up for coffee and good conversation with friends. I was hoping to catch up with Audrey and the kids but the kids didn’t make it back home from their grandma’s house yet. Audrey was always a good friend and used to take Devin for the weekends so I could go out or just because the kids wanted to see him. Its good people like her that made me really appreciate the goodness of people even when you don’t have much. She stands there and talks in her scrubs, when I left she was still in school struggling and its good to see she’s come a long way. We talk for about an hour before Dev and I take off to meet other friends. Before we leave I tell her we would like to see the kids before we leave town and that we may stop by tomorrow on the way out.

Tomorrow we drive.