The Fifth day of Christmas

Hollywood Travel Blog

The fresh prince of Bel Air house.

WE MADE IT! Today we woke up in beautiful sunny California; we walked over to the continental breakfast at the hotel and saw that we are surrounded by mountains off in the distance. The weather is about 60 degrees but warming. The plan for the day is to be a tourist; we have driven for 4 days all to have this one day, because tomorrow we head back.

After picking up the fliers in the hotel lobby we weigh our options and decide to do the whole Hollywood stars home tour. Devin wants to go to universal studio but we can do that in Florida and the whole commercial thing doesn’t really make sense after traveling so far. He eventually comes around the closer we get to town.

Beverly Hills homes
Traffic isn’t too bad as there are 4 lanes across and at times two HOV lanes. We stayed in San Bernardino last night the drive is about an hour to get to Hollywood/LA area. Coming down I-10 off of a mountain and into LA we pass Forrest Lawn cemetery, I think Michael Jackson was buried there. On the same road the LA basin opens up and you can see the city below, there is a thick white haze that appears to be smothering the city, its hard to tell if its smog or fog or both. At this point our excitement is at a max, we have made it to our destination and the excitement of a new city waits below. The GPS guides us directly to where we need to be Hollywood Blvd, we find parking for about $10 and we go it on foot. As soon as we get to the Blvd you can see stars in the sidewalk on either side of the street all the way up and down.
Beverly Hills homes
We take note of the names we know and try to take in the sights at the same time. Devin shouts “Dad there it is!” and I’m like “What!”? “The Sign!” he says. And sure enough the Hollywood sign welcomes us in the distance. Very cool. We head towards the Kodak Theater (where the academy awards are held) and are welcomed on the street by such people as. Samuel Jackson, Spiderman I, II, and III, superman, Michael Jackson, cat woman, a fat Spiderman, a midget Spiderman, a break dancing gold statue, captain jack sparrow and some guy shouting “give me some money!” while trying to sell bracelets. We get our tickets for the tour here and do some more sight seeing before the tour takes off.

As we embark on the tour the bus actually has no windows, and the driver starts to tell the story of how he used to work out with Will Smith and the creator of Lost.

Beverly Hills we have arrived!
I don’t know how true that is but it would be nice to see someone famous so if he could call one of them up to meet us it would mean more to me. We head to the Beverley Hills and the houses are unbelievable we pass Katherine Zeta Jones, Denzel Washington, Aaron spelling (who has the largest house..3kitchens, bowling alley, movie theaters, ect..) we pass the playboy mansion and see a blond driving out (very cool) and afterwards the driver drops us off on Rodeo Drive. Here there are stores that I cannot even pronounce and have never heard of. Everyone seems to be fashionable and I’m feeling a little out of place as I should have worn a different jacket…LOL. We do some shopping…no wait…window shopping….no we don’t do any shopping just looking at the people and the $500,000 cars around us are fascinating enough. Bentleys, Rolls Royces and Black top shelf Escalades are everywhere.
Devin hanging out on Rodeo Drive
This area is only 2 blocks wide but one of the most famous in the world. People are walking around with shopping bags and I can’t help but wonder “WHAT DO THESE PEOPLE DO FOR A LIVING?” I also wonder how filled these peoples lives are, I mean we don’t have the money they do but we have great friends, and family, we are active in our community and even with no money we find happiness. If these people had no money how would they rate their lives? So on that note I leave Rodeo Drive feeling sorry for the people walking around and feeling fortunate about my life.

After the tour we somehow find our way to the Santa Monica pier, which we found by luck as I didn’t even know it existed before we saw it. Its dark now but we want to touch the Pacific Ocean, so we park and head off down the beach which is HUGE.

Beverly Hills homes
The ocean here seems to be angrier than the Atlantic and the waves crash hard here so we cautiously approach the water and put our hands in and it is cold! After standing there for a while we decide that our Hollywood/LA vacation is at an end. We head to the car, and meet a walking family who has a 2yr old throwing a screaming tantrum, I remember those days, I told them that Devin used to do the same thing and we talk for a little before we head off. Happy, satisfied, and feeling good about the day and the trip we head to the hotel to get ready for the trip to San Antonio.

Watching the weather it looks as if we may get snow tomorrow in TX again…..so we will leave early to try and beat the mess.

MDandbeyond says:
Thanks!
Posted on: Jan 02, 2010
Dalmia says:
Excellent!!! Congrats on reaching the ultimate destination!!
Posted on: Dec 31, 2009
Behind the Kodak Theater
Rodeo Drive shopping
Rodeo Drive shopping
Beverly Hills homes
Beverly Hills homes (Al Pacino)
Beverly Hills homes (Al Pacino)
Academy Awards anyone?