Beach Cleaning / raising environmental awairness

Casablanca Travel Blog

This project is 100% not for profit and all funds collected will be used towards the goals which have been set.
    “The Nations Beach” is a beautiful sandy beach with huge waves located on the Atlantic coast of Morocco and surrounded with hills. Unfortunately, people who come to the beach do not really take care of it and the municipality responsible for it (the town of Bouknadel) does not have sufficient funds to hire workers on a regular basis in order to care for it.
    In the summer of 2007, I have become determined to address this issue and take the matter in my own hands. I will be in Morocco for three weeks in July and therefore I will be able to supervise a cleaning operation that will take place twice a week, 5 times in total. I will hire ten local people (mostly women), who will be provided with t-shirts bearing the phrase “ I love Morocco: preserving our environment” written in Arabic. At the end of the 4 hour work day, the workers will each be paid 50 dirhams ($7), which is the national average wage, and will be served lunch. When the five days work is complete, I would like to reward the people involved with a goody bag, which will contain various items such as toothpaste, toothbrushes, crayons candy, etc… as well as a certificate of achievement.
    With this project, not only do I want to raise awareness about the environment in the Bouknadel community, but I also want to give the chance to women in need to make a living,  even if this is only for a short time. Over time, I hope that this project will become a steady source of income for the workers.
    To be able to bring this project to terms, I need to raise funds. The budget attached shows the various expenses which will be incurred during the course of the project. I need to raise about $650 before my departure on July 24. I need monetary donations, but other kinds are also welcome: garbage bags, crayons, pencils, toothpaste, tooth brushes, hard candy etc…
    I am truly convinced that this program will be very beneficial to the community of Bouknadel where a majority lives in poverty. I hope to hear from you soon. Should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me via email and I will be happy to answer them.
    Because we care about others.
    Harriba Areche