"The water is too wet!"

Bodrum Travel Blog

View from the top of our boat

Swimsuit season is officially upon us as the French on my boat this morning blessed us all by showing way too much skin for my taste. It was up by 9 and off to the boat this morning! There were about 20 of us on what we were told was a classic Turkish boat, though I feel that's just a sly way of saying 'tourist boat,' as the real Turkish boats here are mostly gigantic with sails-I'd absolutely love to have one of them. When I mention this to Alec though, he points out that I wouldn't be stealing if I took one, I\'d be comandeering, which would make me a pirate. Sounds like a fun gig?

The 10 Euros that I shelled out for this boat trip out to the peninsula and various islands off the coast was definitely worth it, but I soon found how exactly they afford to run it so cheaply.

While lunch is included, they first get you by charging exorbitant prices on all drinks, which I avoided til absolutely necessary at lunch, then they get you with the first stop where all there is to do for half an hour is pay four leera to go in a "thermal" (though not actually warm at all) cave with water where Cleopatra purportedly bathed to stay young. I spent my time sitting on a rock and admiring the crystal clear water, wondering why no one else was venturing out onto the rocks like I was. Oh yeah, this is a huge resort town-a day on a boat for the less adventuresome...guess I've gotten used to wandering around with other backpackers doing things like hopping over fences and the like!

The rest of the day on the boat was spent mostly lounging on the top, taking short naps, and loving how I can see the bottom of the sea-it\'s just like a pool at home here, although waaayy colder.

The castle all surrounded by boats
My jump in left me breathless, though after just a few minutes of swimming around I was decently warm. The guide kept telling us that he wasn't swimming because "The water is too wet, way too wet." Alright buddy, each to his own! Instead of swimming with the bulk of us, he spent his time fishing, which was interesting to watch as he didn't use a rod at all-just threw out some string with a hook and some break attached to a spool. Apparently the fish here are vegatarian and like bread and cabbage. Odd. He did manage to catch enough to make himself dinner to go along with his Raci, the local spirit here that tastes much like Absynth in my opinion.

Night brought a nice dinner with Alec, a German, and two Turkish girls, then back to the hostel where Alec had to help clean up the bar-of course a game of Backgammon was called for, and after I failed horribly at trying to teach Alec, Memeht, the guy who works the bar here, taught and schooled both of us. I was a bit tired but didn\'t care-this is my last night in Turkey and I'm going out. Alec and I headed to the beach with some beers, then somehow got caught up in a crowd of rowdy, drunk, middle-aged Turks who were having a blast drinking Raci, dancing, singing, and playing various instruments. It was great-I love seeing people really enjoy life!

View from up above