Near-crisis on take-off day!
San Francisco Travel Blog› entry 6 of 98 › view all entries
It's 4:34 AM the day of departure, I haven't slept all night, and I'm trying to remember this morning (or I guess yesterday morning) at the moment, but to be honest, I just can't-it's been that long of a day!
(Pause as I'm still trying to remember)
Right, so basically last minute details-redoing my taxes since they didn't get accepted last time, correcting info to get financial aid for grad school in the Fall, calling friends to say goodbye, etc. Last night about 12 of us went to Pete's Brass Rail & Carwash (no rail or carwash in sight, but fantastic beer). There was a toast to my arriving home alive, and demands that I update them often, or they'll worry I've died or something like that. I have too much life to live to die!
My mom insisted on coming with me to all my last errends today, then the three of us drove an hour up to Davis to meet my brother at Applebee's for some appetizers and last hugs-this is the longest I'll have ever gone without seeing my family! I'll be fine, but we'll just have to see how the good 'ol loving parents hold up.
Therefore.....the steps of every day (according to her) are this:
- Research all the bad things that have happened in the next city you are going to, before you get there
- Make sure you're always with someone or a group while you're traveling (hhmmm we'll see how well that one works out, as I'm traveling solo!)
- Register with the embassy the second you get to the country and email/call them EVERY day. If two days go by and they have not heard from me, they will contact the embassy. Seriously.
- Tell the hostel you're entire itinerary for the day (because of course I will know! :)
Alright, so to the near crisis part of the evening-I had everything laid out, all details taken care of.
What didn't make the cut?
- sunglasses (Too bulky in the case-I'll live)
- earplugs (Guess I'll get them as I go?)
- teeny-tiny pillow thing
- mocasin/thin slippers (I'm backpacking for goodness sake! Why'd I think I'd need them?)
- pillow case (Eh, I'll live without a clean pillow case)
So now I'm dead tired, but all ready.