Mosques, Tea, and Death Threats

Istanbul Travel Blog

Love it!

This morning Baris dropped me off near the Blue Mosque and I was stoked on the clear blue skies, and even more excited to head into this mosque that I've heard so much about. Seeing how expensive the guides were, I reminded myself that I'm a poor backpacker and did the sneaky thing of stopping in every gift shop and reading parts of the big guide book about the palace, which was fantastic, though I kept having to resist the urge to push people out of the way that kept cutting me off. Does that make me a bad person?

Several hours later, when I'd had my fill of jewels and the likes, I ran into Chris, the Aussie I'd met on my train the other day. We hung out for the rest of the day, getting lost in the Grand Bazaar then playing backgammon and drinking tea. The Bazaar is really something else-a true maze of hundreds of covered shops all selling ridiculously similar things.

Me learning how to play backgammon
People keep trying to sell us rugs, not entirely sure what they think we're going to do with them or how we'd get them home. 'Yes, please,' seems to be the thing to say here when you wasnt to sell someone something, which never failed to amuse me, even after I'd gotten sick of hearing it. Their English at times translates into phrases that sound funny to us, such as the guy who said to Chris, 'Excuse me, I think your friend wants to make business with me.' That is not something you'd want to say back home. When we found the street selling knockoffs of anything you could every want, Chris even got an 'I'll kill you,' when he turned down the offer to buy jeans, even after we'd both just made purchases. Time to get outta here!

Conversation turned to other parts of Turkey, and finding out that he was heading to Cappadocia, I was soon on board with his plans and we utilized the lovely facebook chat once back in our respective places to finalize plans. Can't wait!

Aya Sofia...huge!
Aya Sofia...huge!
Good luck if I can turn my hand al…
Good luck if I can turn my hand a…
Me & Chris showing off the mosque