Flip Cup, Child Beggars, and my First Taste of Paradise

Sihanoukville Travel Blog

Boys being...boys! The kids here that aren't hawking are adorable :)

Woke up hot and sweaty this morning in a guesthouse that was not my own, due to the fact that Martin and I had left our key at reception, split ways, and both ended up being locked out since the person 'watching' the reception was sound asleep somewhere I definitely couldn't see. Martin ended up helping himself to several pints behind the unattended bar while I crashed at a new friend's place. Not too much of a bother though as the place I ended up had proper A/C, which is a luxury here.

A decent breakfast of a cheese and ham crepe and a refreshingly cold shower later, Martin and I were off to the beach for a swim and some good old fashioned relaxation. I still can't believe how beautiful it is here-this is the scene I've been crazing for the past year-long boats bobbing in gentle waves, lush green trees covering the hilly coastline in the distance.

Typical beach scene
Beer for 50 cents, cheap food, lounge chairs, and water warm enough to take a bath in-it's absolutely perfect, minus the street kids who try to sell you something every 5 seconds and are usually fairly rude if you decline. I've even had a kid tell me he was going to give me a black eye for not buying his pirated DVD.

Another one told one of the British girls we met on our bus that when we left, she and all her friends would die. It's so terrible seeing them out here and not in school. Child Safe is a good organization here that tries to fix this problem, one kid at a time. I think I'll buy a shirt from the organization to help them out as you can't really donate your time here. Basically the entire day was spent eating, drinking, swimming, then later in the night hanging out in Monkey Republic where we met these Canadian guys and started a rowdy game of flip cup, which made me feel like I was right at home.

Oh the simple life

There's a pretty cool bar on the beach called JJ's where we hung out both last night and tonight. Loads of fun, with the bartenders yelling 'Free shots!' sporadically which prompted just about everyone there to crowd around the bar and lean their heads back on it. Good fun-love this place! I ended up moving all my things out of our, erm, rustic bungallow in the middle of the night to move to a different guesthouse as I'd decided to hang out and rent a moto to see the countryside with Fergusen, one of the Canadians we met. Should be good :)

Boys being...boys! The kids here t…
Boys being...boys! The kids here …
Oh the simple life
Made me smile, so full of life!
Made me smile, so full of life!