'Eat! I WIll Tell Your Mother if You Don't!'

Lisbon Travel Blog

Today was much less eventful, with Duarte taking me to the Santa Apalona station to reserve my night train ticket to Madrid, then me sleeping for a few hours in an attempt to feel better. He had left for work with stern, half-joking instructions: Eat! I will tell you're mother if you don't! I had been planning on taking the train for a day trip to Sintra, but I figured that if I went, I would only get sicker, and not enjoy my next week in Spain and France, so I opted for a day of rest. This also included catching up on my blogs, uploading photos (yay!), and booking a hostel for Madrid for tomorrow night.

I did end up venturing to the Estacio Oriente where there is a pretty big mall (though small by Portugal's standards). One of the cool things about that area though, is that it was just recently developed for the World Expo a few years back, so there's all sorts of cool sculptures and a long, shallow pool, bordered on each side by flags of every country. I ate dinner at the mall, then Duarte kindly picked me up and we hung out at his place for a bit before he drove me to the train station, stopping first near the Alfama to show me one of his favorite look-out spots by night. It was beautiful and very peaceful, and left me with a warm feeling of Portugal. As I write this now, I'm on the train to Madrid, rocking gently on the tracks and trying to ignore the man snoring a few rows up, smiling at just how lucky I am to be on this trip right now!

Lisbon