Dracula's Castle and My Surprise Birthday Party!

Brasov Travel Blog

Inside the Brahn Castle

It's my birthday, and it didn't disappoint. In fact, I'd have to say that this is definitely one of the best I've ever had. The morning started out with another lovely train ride, this time to the mideival town of Brasov, then checking into our 'party hostel,' or so claims hostelworld.com. I immediately like the town-very mideival, but modern parts as well and loads of character. The hostel seems really cool too, and we met a few Aussies as soon as we walked in, of course inviting them out with us tonight. Going big is an absolute must for today, and I wanted all the people there to celebrate with me as possible.

While the girls walked around town, Craig and I made our way in the rain to see the Brahn Castle, which is said to be Dracula's castle.

Me and my first birthday cake of the day!
While Vlad the Impaler in reality only passed through here, the museum inside is really informative about the whole topic, from the story, to "real" vampires, to history of the castle itself-definitely worth the money. Insisting that he take me out to a birthday lunch, Craig and I went to a small pizza place, which was ridiculously delicious to my empty stomach and I ate an entire pizza to myself, later having a piece of this weird raspberry/chocalate cake he also got me. I tried buying just a simple iced tea at the same place, and yet again they wouldn't take my 50 note-seems to be a theme in this town, but how are you ever supposed to get change if the ATM gives out 50's, and no one will take them?

Getting back to the hostel around 7, I saw 3 new Aussies in the hall and introduced myself, as usual.

Attack of the trees!
'Christine! Christine, come here quick-I need you!' I hear from our room upstairs. Excusing myself, I run upstairs. 'Yeah, what's up?' I ask Aimee. 'Nothing, you just can't talk to them. Ask me in 30 minutes and I'll explain...' Odd.

Finished with my shower finally, Craig is lingering in the room and tells me that the girls are in the basement, and waits while I grab my shoes. As soon as I walked down the stairs I saw baloons and a "Happy Birthday Snowflake" sign. (Freshman year of college I was brought to a club where I was the only white girl and was dubbed 'snowflake' by several of the guys who were waaay to happy I was there). They were wearing party hats they made. Soon enough, I had one on as well, and they were singing to me. Then came more people. (They'd invited the entire hostel) Then a cake (funky tasting spongy thing) with candles they said they had to run all over town to find. I can't believe how amazing these people are, and I've known them for less than two weeks!

Craig and I split a bottle of wine and some beer, and the Aussies came down wearing...togas? Yep. Not entirely sure why, but it was amusing. After a good time of talking and random dancing, we were all off to a pub. Life is great. People are even better :)

Inside the Brahn Castle
Me and my first birthday cake of t…
Me and my first birthday cake of …
View from the top of the castle