Definition: Mideival: See, Nuremburg

Nuremberg Travel Blog

Amazed at how well these mideival castle walls are preserved!

Not sure last night where I'd be off to this morning, I finally decided to head to Berlin but stop in Nuremberg for a few hours on the way. The weather was a bit drab, but the little mideival town of Nurenberg is absolutely gorgeous, filled with churches, gardens, outdoor markets, and a beautiful castle. I kept changing my mind on stowing my pack in the station, wearing it around, or finding a hostel and staying the night, and eventually ended up settling on walking around with my backpack. An ice cream stop was a great excuse to rest my back for a few minutes, and I relished the sweet treat as I'd been craving ice cream for weeks now.

One of the citest cities ever :)

Meandering back to the station, not worried too much about how long it would take, I ran into a middle aged guy whom I asked for directions. 'I'm going there too, come with me,' he says as we quickly swap names. His train wasn't for about an hour, but the man was walking at a pace that could've won hom a speed-walking competition. I almost contemplated just letting him go ahead of me and find my own way there, but not wanting to be rude I stuck it out and huffed and puffed my way to the station with him. He really was very nice, pausing for conversation and randomly telling me I should take a picture of him, for memories sake of course. This lead to swapping of emails so I could contact him if I needed any help while I was in Germany, and so I could send him the photo of himself. Why on earth he would want a random photo of himself, I have no idea, but whatever-it was nice to have someone to talk to for a bit.

Street market in the central square

I got to the station and realized that there was a train leaving for Berlin in literally one minute and finally caught my breath after a half run to the platform. The four hour ride was absolutely gorgeous, with rolling hills, forests, and fields of brilliant yellow flowers. I arrived in Berlin around 7 with no idea where I was going to stay, but quickly found a sign for the Meinanger Hostel and stayed there for the night. There were three art students from Scotland in my room whom I quickly made friends with and was invited to head out with them tonight.

I was once again reminded of how much I love German beer as we bought several at the corner store, as well as some rum before heading to the club at half past twelve. Outside you never would've known it was a club, but a series of doors led us into a room pulsating with music. With the promise of a fantastic DJ I had been expecting a huge turnout, but the place wasn't very crowded yet. Apparently things don't really get started until around 2 AM here, which is when I'm used to clubs and bars closing at home. When the featured DJ finally came on, the club sprang to life and a young crowd spent the rest of the night dancing. Exhauseted, we finally made it home around four and I fell into a good sleep, ready to take on tomorrow.

Amazed at how well these mideival …
Amazed at how well these mideival…
Nuremberg