Boat trips, Chocolate, and Watches

Lucerne Travel Blog

This morning I woke up earliesh to a breakfast of yogurt, bread, and nutella, and wondered why I don't eat this stuff back home-it's absolutely brilliant and a great excuse to have chocolate in the morning! I headed over to the old town and wandered around, snapping photos quickly as I could see a storm coming in. Before I knew it, it had started to rain and I was finding any excuse to scurry anywhere inside, from getting lunch in a supermarket (the only cheapish way to eat here), to buying a Swiss Army knife for my brother for his birthday.

At noon I hopped on a boat that makes a 2 hour round trip around the lake, which was fantastic because not only did I get out of the rain, but I got to see the rest of Lake Lucern, which is a spectacle in itself.

It was free with my Eurail pass, and turns out that it was a lunch boat. After seeing exorbitant prices on the menu I settled for a beer and enjoyed the scenery, also looking up more history of sights in the old town.

After realizing that I'd missed some cool churches and the Swiss Lion Monument, I decided to brave the rain, which was now reduced to a drizzle, and continued to walk around. Stopping at a small souvineer shop to buy a postcard, I admired the beautifully handcrafted music boxes. The lady at the desk kindly informed me that after being famous for watches, Switzerland was famous for these. 'Dad's been wearing the same watch for the past 10 years now, he deserves a new one,' I thought to myself. The rest of the afternoon was spent on my new mission of finding him the perfect watch, and I felt really good after finally settling on one.

Back at the hostel, I met two American girls who were on break from studying in Rome. It was great to be able to talk to someone and we headed back over to the old town for dinner, which was a lot harder of a task than you'd think. Half the restaurants were closed to the public for the Honkey Tonk Festival, which was basically about 20 bands that play in clubs and restaurants around the city-you get a ticket and you get in anywhere. Problem #2 was that Switzerland is so darn expensive. The same sandwich that would cost me $5 in the States, costs at least $11 here. At least the exchange rate is about 1:1 so it's easy to figure out! Finally settling on a NY themed cafe, we headed back and it was soon off to bed.

photo by: Chokk