Montreal, Quebec

Montreal Travel Blog

Ahhhh there is nothing really that can describe the whole Montreal vibe, but it is good to get out of the bustle and hustle of Toronto.  It all started as a whim, spurr of the moment getaway. The truth is that i had wanted to go and take my husband who had never been to Montreal, yeah well that was 4 years ago and this summer was the summer to do it.

We decided to take a ride share to Montreal, which is approx 5hrs east of Toronto. A ride share is where someone rents out the seats to his car or in this case van. For only $35/each-one way we were off. It was quite comfortable and we stopped in Kingston, Ontario about 3hrs from Toronto. Driver was doing 120 km the whole time so we got to Montreal at a decent time, 4pm.

You can immediately see and feel the difference of lifestyles, than from Toronto. People were walking slowly the streets, laughing and enjoying the end of summer afternoon. There wasn't any rush or stoic faces.  I knew that the frame of mind was "We work to live, not live to work"

I did some research and was able to get a great price on a downtown hotel, now we decided to splurge as we usually stay in Hostels--mind you the private room but still a hostel. We arrived at the hotel and were instantly impressed, nice and shiny, tall Delta Hotel.

At the check-in a nice francophone woman welcomed us and informed us that we had been upgraded to the 28th Floor, wow and here we stand with our knapsacks waiting to be taken up to our chamber.

The size of the room was perfect, with a massive king size bed and a breathtaking view of Montreal.  We left our stuff and freshened up and walked right out of our hotel into downtown Montreal.

Ahhh yes we can feel the difference, the feeling of people enjoying themselves, laid back and jovial. Dont get me wrong Toronto i love, but i mean we can adopt the New York type of attitude.  The streets were full of people just getting off of work and the restaurant patios were already filling up. I have never been to Europe but from the pics and movies i have seen, This definately has a european vibe to it.

As we walked up a very commercial area, we did what we both love to do, People watch!! Now we were both in agreement, WOW there were beautiful people everywhere, not only beautiful but well dressed and seemingly carefree.  The wonderful thing about Toronto is that you see people from all over the world and hear different languages around every corner, and it was great to see that Montreal was no different.

Montreal is a must for anyone coming to the Toronto area, it's well worth the 5hrs.

nabilbo says:
Great post about Montreal, you felt the same thing as me about this city. I would have written the same thing about Montreal but the thing I didn't do was to ride to Toronto, didn't know it was only 5 hours from Montreal. Maybe the next time.

Keep sharing with us Sandra